The collective reaction around the National Football League to Monday's announcement from the Carolina Panthers that they have fired General Manager Dave Gentleman can be summed up in a word: Whoa. But Carolina slipped to 6-10 previous year after a tumultuous offseason that saw Gettleman rescind cornerback Josh Norman's franchise tag after negotiations turned sour.
As ProFootballTalk's Darin Gantt points out, the Panthers now are in contract negotiations with fan favorites Greg Olsen and Thomas Davis, so it's possible Gettleman's history of not being sympathetic to established veterans played into his firing. Davis, who has returned from multiple knee constructions to be one of the team's on-field leaders on defense, is entering the final year of his contract.
BLАDE RUNNЕR 2049 : une nouvelle bande-annonce époustouflante !
Si l'intrigue reste très floue, cet opus signé Denis Villeneuve (Prisoners et Arrival , entre autres) promet d'être riche en action, à la différence du Blade Runner original qui baigne dans la contemplation.
Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reported that Gettleman and Richardson may not have been getting along well, dating back to the Panthers rescinding a franchise tag offer to Josh Norman. "I want to thank Dave for the role he played in our success over the past four seasons".
According to research by ESPN, this is the latest in the offseason that a team has cut ties with a general manager in at least five years. The 66-year-old Gettleman also spent time in the Broncos and New York Giants' scouting departments and was promoted to pro personnel director with the club in 1999. Both were moved into their current positions in May, following Beane's departure.
- Diebold, Incorporated (NYSE:DBD) Scheduled to Post Quarterly Earnings on Wednesday
- Joe Biden coming to Ann Arbor's Michigan Theater on national book tour
- Thomas Lemar set for Monaco bust-up if Arsenal transfer denied
- Boy, 16, critical after crash between moped and police vehicle
- ¡Cae nevada en Chile!
- Copy-Newgarden races to second Toronto IndyCar win in 3 years
- Amber Harrison ordered to pay costs of Seven West Media
- Zimmer Biomet Holdings, Inc. (NYSE:ZBH) Rating Reiterated by Piper Jaffray Companies
- Age verification rule for adult websites
- Lucknow: Massive fire breaks out at KGMU, CM Yogi orders probe