According to a statement issued by Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) on June 22, Jadhav had filed a mercy plea to General Bajwa after the Pakistani military appellate court had rejected his plea. Islamabad has dismissed New Delhi's consular access request, as well as that of his mother, to Jadhav more than 15 times. Jadhav, a former officer in the Indian Navy, is now on death row in Pakistan on charges of espionage and subversive activities.
Pakistan Army chief General Qamar Javed Bajwa will take a decision on the mercy appeal of alleged Indian spy Kulbhushan Jadhav at the earliest, it was announced on Sunday. Later on, The International Court of Justice in The Hague in May halted his execution on India's appeal. India continues to refute the charges. However, India maintains that he was kidnapped from Iran where he had business interests after retiring from the Navy.
India has described as propaganda Pakistan's claims of evidence against Jadhav, saying his so-called confessions under duress have no meaning.
USCG rescues mother and daughter from rip current
The crew spotted the missing mother and her daughter, who were with a member of the Baldhead Island Ocean Rescue team. But, unlike other incidents involving rip currents in North Carolina earlier this year , this has a happier ending.
"The reasons for Jadhav's conviction and incarceration suggest that Pakistan may not be legally required to allow his mother to visit him or indeed grant her a Visa at all, but it ought to be considered on humanitarian grounds", the editorial read.
The Dawn, in an editorial, said that a Visa application by the mother of convicted Jadhav is the latest opportunity for India and Pakistan to back away from an increasingly confrontational stance against each other.
Pakistan has argued that spies are not entitled to consular access following an agreement made with India in 2008. The army said that its chief of staff is now looking into the matter and will make a decision on merits. If his appeal is rejected, he can file another petition to Pakistan's President.
- Conférence des territoires : le tandem Macron-Philippe s'aventure en terrain glissant
- Le président Maduro renouvelle son appel à un dialogue avec l'opposition — Venezuela
- Netanyahu and Macron mark mass killing of French Jews
- Partly Cloudy Chance For A Shower Saturday
- Telegram blocks 'terrorist-related' channels after Indonesia ban
- Accusing Pakistan for supporting terrorists, United States cracks down on anti-terror funding
- Anu Emmanuel to join the sets of Bunny's film
- Kuwait: it's premature for OPEC to cap Libya, Nigeria oil output
- Indians abducted three years ago may be in Islamic State jail
- Nice prend une valise face au Slavia Prague — Amical