Oil prices firmed on Monday, supported by a slowdown in new rigs looking for crude and a perception of strong demand.
Futures were little changed in NY, after rising 5.2 per cent last week. However, the slower pace of additions, as well as a much larger-than-expected decline in US crude stocks reported by the Energy Information Administration last week of 7.6 million barrels, suggests the torrid pace of American production could be easing.
The group's output climbed last month to the highest this year as members exempt from the deal - Nigeria and Libya - pumped more and others slipped in delivering their pledged curbs. "However, we may see bigger risks on the supply side, especially from rising United States production and stockpiles, once seasonal demand wanes in the fourth quarter".
West Texas Intermediate for August delivery was at US$46.66 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange, up 12 cents, at 11:37 a.m.in Seoul. Prices gained US$2.31 to US$46.54 a barrel last week.
Partly Cloudy Chance For A Shower Saturday
We're going to keep a 30% chance of showers and storms in the forecast with the highest odds being along and south of USA 82. A front will move into the area on Monday night , meaning we will see drier air on Tuesday and Wednesday .
Brent crude futures, the worldwide benchmark for oil prices, were at $49.08 per barrel at 0126 GMT, up 17 cents, or 0.35 per cent, from their last close. Prices climbed 4.7 per cent last week.
In other news, USA drillers added two oil rigs in the week to July 14, bringing the total count up to 765, according to energy services firm Baker Hughes. The global benchmark crude traded at a premium of $2.18 to WTI. It is the second week of renewed growth after drillers snapped a 23-week stretch of advances at the end of June.
Traders and analysts said the rising prices were a result of strong demand as well as signs that a relentless climb in U.S. oil production was slowing down. Shale explorers have been the driving force behind a surge in USA production, more than doubling the rig count from a low of 316 in May 2016.
- Le PIB poursuit sur sa lancée au 2e trimestre à +6,9% — Chine
- USCG rescues mother and daughter from rip current
- KCR Focussed On Telangana Drug Racket
- Énorme offre de Chelsea pour Gonzalo Higuaín — Mercato
- Nitish Kumar to seek fresh mandate if Tejashwi fails to come clean?
- Kashmir: Hizbul Mujahideen module busted, three arrested
- Tourcoing: le garçon de 9 ans retrouvé à Paris
- Barça : Paulinho, 40 millions ou rien
- Pakistan Army chief 'analysing' Kulbhushan Jadhav's plea, decision at the 'earliest'
- Netanyahu and Macron mark mass killing of French Jews