"Hypersonic flight has the potential to revolutionise air travel, making it faster and cheaper to travel around the world and into space", said Professor Smart.
Video released from the launch shows the incredible rocket screaming through the skies after a launch in the town of Woomera, Australia.
She said Australia and the USA were now developing plans for the next phase of flight experiments.
Australia's defence minister Marise Payne hailed the launch a success and said it "takes us one step closer to the realisation of hypersonic flight".
A series of launches have been already carried out within the United States $54m project, including tests conducted in Hawaii and Norway in 2012, according to The Drive.
Vettel and Raikkonen tyre failures unrelated, says Pirelli
If I came back quite fast I would destroy the front wing after that because the tyre was flapping around but we managed to get into a decent position in fourth.
The latest test came amid criticisms voiced by some members of the US Congress over the lack of response by the Pentagon to the alleged development of the hypersonic capabilities by Moscow and Beijing, The Drive noted.
"What we can do is to develop our own hypersonic weapons and improve our defenses against theirs", he said, as cited by the The Drive.
While the designed speed of the hypersonic missile of Mach 8 (8000 km/hr) nears that of a typical intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM), the hypersonic glider's advantage lies in its enhanced maneuverability.
She said the Hypersonic International Flight Research Experimentation (HIFiRE) team had achieved significant milestones, including design, assembly and pre-flight testing of the hypersonic vehicles and design of complex avionics and flight systems.
"There are key military applications of this technology and by understanding hypersonic flight, the Australian Defence Force will be in a better position to respond to future threats".
- Queen Bey shows off newborn babies in stunning photoshots — Beyoncé's twin delight
- Blue Apron Plummets After Amazon Files for Meal-Kit Trademark
- ISP Release Sketch of Delphi Suspect
- YouTube, Milan. Lucas Biglia che gaffe: "Forza Lazio"
- Scientists detect unusual signals coming from dwarf star
- (NYSE:HMC) would recall about 2.1 million vehicles worldwide
- Groupe Renault first half vehicle sales rocket to 1.88m
- Pas de tournée pour Sakho, pas de soldes non plus — Mercato
- ANC Race: Lindiwe Sisulu, Mathews Phosa To Challenge Front-Runners For Party Leadership
- Etats-Unis: un homme transgenre a accouché