Berlin on Saturday said two women who were killed after being stabbed in an Egyptian beach resort were German nationals, confirming earlier reports.
Two Germans were killed and three from Serbia and one from Poland have been taken to hospital for their wounds, their conditions are not yet known.
The knifeman killed the two German women and wounded several other tourists at the Zahabia hotel in Hurghada, then swam to a neighboring beach to attack at least two more people at the Sunny Days El Palacio resort before being caught by staff and arrested, officials and security sources said.
"In these dark hours, our condolences go out to their families and friends". Germany's Embassy in Cairo is working with Egyptian authorities to gain clarity about the identity of the individuals involved.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack, but it appeared to have been inspired by recent calls made by the local affiliate of the extremist Islamic State group on its followers to attack Egypt's minority Christians and foreign tourists. "After everything we know, this act was supposed to hit foreign tourists - a particularly devious and criminal act that leaves us sad and appalled".
Fight Network Details For UFC Fight Night 113
Paul Craig suffered a devastating first round knockout at the hands of Khalil Rountree in front of his home supporters. Women's bantamweight veteran Leslie Smith opened the preliminary card with a second-round knockout of Amanda Lemos .
Rashed said that investigations were still underway to determine the nature of the attack, which has not yet been confirmed as a terrorist incident.
Egyptian Ahmed Abdullah, Governor the Red Sea, visits injured tourists in hospital.
Friday's attack came 18 months after a similar attack in the same town. In January 2016, two assailants armed with a gun, a knife and a suicide belt landed on the beach of a hotel in Hurghada, wounding two foreign tourists, security sources said.
Hurghada is situated along eastern Egypt's Red Sea coast, about 250 miles southeast of Cairo. It is a popular destination for scuba diving and other watersports.
- Amarnath yatra attack 'one reversal': Army
- "Demain nous appartient", c'est pour lundi à la télé — Sète
- KCR Focussed On Telangana Drug Racket
- Kuwait: it's premature for OPEC to cap Libya, Nigeria oil output
- Netanyahu and Macron mark mass killing of French Jews
- 22 killed in single house fire in China
- Une randonneuse décède dans le Luchonnais — Pyrénées
- Iran court sentences United States citizen to 10 years imprisonment
- Indians abducted three years ago may be in Islamic State jail
- Denny Hamlin triomphe au New Hampshire