Woolworths said it would be reducing plastic bag usage at its Woolworth supermarkets, Metro stores, Big W, BWS and for its online deliveries nationwide as well.
In the process, it revealed it uses 3.2 billion bags annually.
Veteran ban-the-bags campaigner John Dee says Coles must now reveal its usage rates, after also agreeing to a 12-month phase out.
"We now give out more than 3.2bn lightweight plastic bags a year and hence can play a significant role in reducing overall plastic bag usage", Banducci said in a company statement released 14 July. Coles are really obligated to do the same'.
"Alvaro Morata ? ça va être compliqué" — José Mourinho
Vexé par les accusations de fraude fiscale du fisc espagnol, Cristiano Ronaldo (32 ans, 29 matchs et 25 buts en Liga cette saison) avait menacé de quitter le Real Madrid cet été.
Mr Dee reckons Coles - which has about 800 supermarkets compared to about 990 for Woolies - would be using between two billion and 2.5 billion a year or more, and anticipates government estimates of four billion bags a year are way off.
While a Coles spokesperson dodged questions from AAP on a precise figure, but said the chain already had reusable bags available, which started at 15 cents.
"As part of our commitment to better environmental outcomes, Coles will also continue to offer recycling bins for soft plastics at 630 of our stores, the largest retailer-operated recycling program of its type in Australia", he said.
Just three hours after Woolworths made the announcement on Friday 14 July, national retailer Coles said it would be banning single-use plastic bags within the year as well. So not only can people reuse the bags for shopping but the cost will motivate people to bring their own bags.
- Accusing Pakistan for supporting terrorists, United States cracks down on anti-terror funding
- Afrique ASEC Mimosa : Le Burkinabè Aristide Bancé à Al Masry
- Samajwadi Party divided, Shivpal backs Kovind
- Première défaite sur 200 m pour Lemaitre aux "France" — Athlétisme
- Un homme entre la vie et la mort après une agression — Loire
- Oil prices firm on signs of United States production slowdown
- "Ne balancez pas de la merde" — Alves
- Nitish Kumar to seek fresh mandate if Tejashwi fails to come clean?
- Tim Burton Begins Production on 'Dumbo,' Debuts Set Photo
- Njie définitivement Olympien — Marseille