Woolworths said it would be reducing plastic bag usage at its Woolworth supermarkets, Metro stores, Big W, BWS and for its online deliveries nationwide as well.
In the process, it revealed it uses 3.2 billion bags annually.
Veteran ban-the-bags campaigner John Dee says Coles must now reveal its usage rates, after also agreeing to a 12-month phase out.
"We now give out more than 3.2bn lightweight plastic bags a year and hence can play a significant role in reducing overall plastic bag usage", Banducci said in a company statement released 14 July. Coles are really obligated to do the same'.
Alex Sandro to snub Chelsea, sign new Juventus contract
Sky Sport Italia claim that the bid, which does not include add-ons, is now the "last official offer" from the Premier League champions.
Mr Dee reckons Coles - which has about 800 supermarkets compared to about 990 for Woolies - would be using between two billion and 2.5 billion a year or more, and anticipates government estimates of four billion bags a year are way off.
While a Coles spokesperson dodged questions from AAP on a precise figure, but said the chain already had reusable bags available, which started at 15 cents.
"As part of our commitment to better environmental outcomes, Coles will also continue to offer recycling bins for soft plastics at 630 of our stores, the largest retailer-operated recycling program of its type in Australia", he said.
Just three hours after Woolworths made the announcement on Friday 14 July, national retailer Coles said it would be banning single-use plastic bags within the year as well. So not only can people reuse the bags for shopping but the cost will motivate people to bring their own bags.
- Séoul propose de tenir des négociations avec Pyongyang (Yonhap)
- USCG rescues mother and daughter from rip current
- OM-Rami: "Je ne m'attendais pas à jouer aussi vite"
- Pakistan Army chief 'analysing' Kulbhushan Jadhav's plea, decision at the 'earliest'
- Two Bridges Washed Away In Rayagada, Naveen Seeks 4 Choppers From Centre
- Un homme entre la vie et la mort après une agression — Loire
- Première défaite sur 200 m pour Lemaitre aux "France" — Athlétisme
- Unusual snowfall causes blackouts in Santiago, Chile
- Tim Burton Begins Production on 'Dumbo,' Debuts Set Photo
- "Ne balancez pas de la merde" — Alves