It may be some time before we see Amazon-branded meal kits online, but the competition is already feeling the heat.
Blue Apron Holdings Inc. dropped as much as 12 percent after Amazon.com Inc. filed a trademark application for prepared food kits, the latest sign that investors are concerned about newly public Blue Apron's prospects. "You be the chef".
The meal-kit market is small but expanding, and it may be hard for companies like Blue Apron to compete in a world where Amazon and other grocery giants offer their own prepackaged, ready-to-cook ingredient boxes.
Un risque à plus de 50 milliards de dollars — Cyberattaque
Depuis le printemps, les cyberattaques touchant simultanément plusieurs milliers d'ordinateurs à travers le monde se multiplient. Un montant sans commune mesure avec les 3 milliards de dollars générés aux États-Unis!
In early Monday trades, Blue Apron shares plunged as low as $6.51, off more than 11 percent from Friday's close and almost 33 percent below their June 29 IPO price of $10 on the New York Stock Exchange. Blue Apron is structured as a subscription service in which users get a set number of meal kit boxes per week, whereas meal kits on Amazon Fresh appear to be one-off purchases.
Representatives from Amazon and Blue Apron didn't immediately respond to CNBC's request for comment.
Blue Apron's current price, however, looks downright bullish compared with the $2-a-share price target it received from Northcoast Research, the first Wall Street firm to weigh in on the company. The stock opened for trading at $10 per share on June 29.
On Monday morning, Blue Apron's stock was falling more than 7 percent, hitting an all-time-low and dropping below the $7 mark. Amazon already offers meal kits, such as one from Sequential Brands Group Inc.'s Martha Stewart brand.
- Naked couple charged with kidnap and rape of woman while on honeymoon
- YouTube, Milan. Lucas Biglia che gaffe: "Forza Lazio"
- Kelly is holding young women against their will in a 'cult'
- Nizza: Frankreich trauert und ehrt seine Helden
- United Kingdom anti-Semitic crime surges, prosecutions plummet
- Invasion of the identitarians — Doctor Who
- Both versions of Runescape are coming to Android
- Primark recalls men's flip flops over worries they could contain 'cancer chemical'
- Salman Khan shoots a cameo in Sonakshi Sinha starrer Crazy Hai Hum
- BJP Sacks Nagpur Member Who Was Thrashed For Carrying Beef