Meira Kumar had said that this time the election is not a fight between two candidates, but a fight of ideologies and she appealed to the members of the Electoral College to "listen to their conscience" and vote for her. Both Meira Kumar and Gopalkrishna Gandhi come with vast experience.
Without mentioning BJP-led NDA government, Sonia said, "We can't and must not let India be hostage to those who wish to impose upon it narrow-minded, divisive and communal vision".
According to the text of Gandhi's speech, she said, "We must stand more aware than ever of who we are, what we fought for in our independence struggle and what future we want for ourselves".
Samajwadi Party divided, Shivpal backs Kovind
If cross voting takes place in SP - as is now expected - it would create a piquant situation for SP chief Akhilesh Yadav . The Samajwadi Party veterans' support to Kovind was also acknowledged by Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath.
She further said, "In these contests, numbers may be against us".
The vice presidential poll will be held on August 5. "We must have confidence in the values we believe in", she added. That is an achievement.
Janata Dal-United, which is supporting ruling NDA's candidate Ram Nath Kovind in the presidential election but Gandhi for vice president, did not attend the meeting. Shah indicated that he would like the decision before he leaves for Ahmedabad to vote in the Presidential election as a Gujarat MLA on Monday.
Even as the 18-party Opposition stares at lopsided contests in the upcoming Presidential and Vice-Presidential polls, for the Congress, it is about successfully anchoring the Opposition in the run-up to the 2019 polls.
- Accusing Pakistan for supporting terrorists, United States cracks down on anti-terror funding
- Séoul propose de tenir des négociations avec Pyongyang (Yonhap)
- Sam Bird (DS Virgin Racing) remporte la première course à New York
- Oil prices firm on signs of United States production slowdown
- USCG rescues mother and daughter from rip current
- Germany confirms two nationals killed in Egypt attack
- Kashmir: Hizbul Mujahideen module busted, three arrested
- Spanish theme park accident: Trains collide on Madrid rollercoaster
- Telegram blocks 'terrorist-related' channels after Indonesia ban
- Unusual snowfall causes blackouts in Santiago, Chile