"It will speak to a broader desire in our country for more ethical leadership".
Mr Comey has been meeting with editors and publishers in New York in recent days, and he is being represented by Mr Keith Urbahn and Mr Matt Latimer, partners at the literary agency Javelin, reported The New York Times.
Comey was unexpectedly fired by President Donald Trump in May, after which Trump said "this Russian Federation thing" had been a factor in his decision.
In a season of open congressional hearings, his stole the show when he said it made him "mildly nauseous" that his conduct during the 2016 presidential campaign regarding the Hillary Clinton email investigation might have led to Trump's election.
According to the Times, Comey's book will not take the form of a salacious tell-all memoir, but will instead delve into his decades-long career as a federal prosecutor, Justice Department official, and eventually FBI director. Also the investigation into Hillary Clinton's use of a private email server while Secretary of State, and his inquiry into Russia's meddling in the US election.
Comey is pictured here testifying in front of the Senate Judiciary Committee on Capitol Hill in Washington in May.
Nitish Kumar to seek fresh mandate if Tejashwi fails to come clean?
Tejashwi, son of RJD supremo Lalu Prasad , has been named by the CBI as an accused in its probe into the land-for-hotels scam case.
There has always been speculation about how big of an advance Comey could get for a memoir, with some suggesting it could be in the millions of dollars.
"His aim is to write candidly about his experiences serving in multiple administrations, and to use moments from his career to draw lessons about ethics, decision making and leadership, ' the Times" Alexandra Alter said.
Mr Comey has been unexpectedly thrust into the spotlight.
Mr Comey's book will go through the standard legal and governmental vetting to ensure that nothing classified is disclosed. In fact, how many people will remember him? A whitewash is likely. But I know of one bestseller I will take a pass on reading when it comes out - probably next summer.
Some of the biggest publishing houses in the United States will be battling it out to snag former FBI Director James Comey's memoir.
Nearly immediately after his firing, agents and publishers pounced, setting off speculation that Mr. Comey was contemplating writing a book.
- Telegram blocks 'terrorist-related' channels after Indonesia ban
- Kashmir: Hizbul Mujahideen module busted, three arrested
- Conférence des territoires : le tandem Macron-Philippe s'aventure en terrain glissant
- Unusual snowfall causes blackouts in Santiago, Chile
- Britain's future king and queen praise Roger Federer after historic Wimbledon title
- Séoul propose de tenir des négociations avec Pyongyang (Yonhap)
- Oil prices firm on signs of United States production slowdown
- Alex Sandro to snub Chelsea, sign new Juventus contract
- Two Bridges Washed Away In Rayagada, Naveen Seeks 4 Choppers From Centre
- USCG rescues mother and daughter from rip current