The Atchison County Sheriff's Office said Bethany Root, General Manager of the Amelia Earhart Airport, was the passenger of a World War II fighter plane when it crashed shortly after takeoff Sunday morning.
The plane was part of events that happened Saturday in Atchison as part of The Amelia Earhart Festival, according to Highway Patrol.
It happened about 10:30 a.m. near Cummings.
The cause of the crash is unknown.
The victims have been identified as 64-year-old Vlado Lenoch of Buff Ridge, IL and 34-year-old Bethany Root, 34, of Atchison, Kansas.
The annual festival, held in Atchison, celebrates the famed pilot Earhart, who was born in Atchison, and is the first female aviator to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean.
BBC reveals thirteenth Doctor Who is a woman
The one thing everyone is curious about is whether she can pull off the comedic flair that is essential to the Doctor's character. Doctor Who boss Chris Chibnall worked with Jodie on Broadchurch and has explained how she was his top choice for the iconic role.
"It was a high-speed impact crash", said a law enforcement officer at the scene. The plane left the Amelia Earhart Airport in Atchison around 10 a.m. The plane involved in the crash, a 1944 P-51D Mustang, is believed to be the same plane flown for Saturday night's show over the river, according to Laurie. "I can't speculate. It appears the plane was flying northwest when it crashed".
Lenoch's love of aviation began in 1970 when, at age 17, he learned to fly at Chicago's Midway Airport, according to a bio on the Air Force Heritage Flight Foundation.
The Federal Aviation Administration is en route to investigate the crash. She worked for the airport's management company, McElwain Sprayers of Wathena, Kan.
"It's a disgusting, terrible loss", Pregont said.
No residents in the area of the crash were injured, Laurie said.
- Gare aux orages et fortes chaleurs — Météo France prévient
- 1 killed, 50 injured in Cairo police clashes with Nile island residents
- Second round of Brexit talks start amid sense of urgency
- Doctor Who head writer 'always wanted next Time Lord to be female'
- Bassist for Adrenaline Mob dies in fatal crash on interstate
- Air India Express plane 'momentarily' skids on landing at Mangalore, all safe
- Tour de France: Chris Froome survives scare to retain yellow jersey
- Les forces antiterroristes kurdes assurent qu'al-Baghdadi est vivant
- Vitré (35) : battue et séquestrée pendant 2 ans par son compagnon ?
- Defense chief submits martial law recommendation to Duterte