The issue, which featured Gigi Hadid and Zayn Malik, was condemned for purporting to understand the concept of gender-fluidity by using the couple's tendency to borrow each other's clothes as an example.
Vogue's cover story featuring Malik and Hadid saw the pair recount the times they had swapped clothing, while the accompanying photoshoot saw the pair wearing suit jackets and pants. Hadid said in the article, Entertainment Tonight reported.
It reports a conversation between the couple about each other's wardrobes, with the singer asking his girlfriend: "What was that T-shirt I borrowed the other day?"
As soon as the cover story went live, people from all corners of the internet-especially queer people-voiced their incredulity at how out of touch the story was and how unacceptable it was for a mainstream fashion magazine to co-opt queer identity politics as if they were a trend.
The term "gender fluid" is used to describe a person who does not identify themselves as having a fixed gender. Because, you know, that's all it takes to be gender fluid! "Vogue, Got A Minute To Talk About This New Cover?"
Expressing doubt over the fashion magazine's intent to spread awarness, a Twitter user said the interview featuring Malik and Hadid read like a scripted fan fiction.
Les températures restent élevées ce samedi
La fraîcheur restera de mise avec un thermomètre ne dépassant pas les 16° en haute Belgique et les 20° sur l'ouest du pays. Vendredi, nous prévoyons temporairement quelques averses depuis l'ouest, éventuellement avec quelques coups de tonnerre.
On Thursday, Vogue released its August cover, and immediately faced considerable backlash.
She tweeted: 'For Gigi Hadid and Zayn Malik to wear opposing gender assigned patterns and cuts does not equate to gender fluid.
But the half-assed apology rings as false as the claims that Hadid and Malik are gender fluid.
Poet Tyler Ford, who is quoted in the article, noted that the story overlooked how gender fluid relates to the LGBT community except for Ford's quote.
"We are very sorry the story did not correctly reflect that spirit - we missed the mark".
- Alonso set to start British GP from the back
- UAE congratulates Iraq on liberating Mosul from IS
- Gboard beta update includes new incognito mode
- Federer seeks historic eighth title but faces test from Cilic
- 20/20 digging into OJ Simpson parole hearing in Nevada
- Barrick Gold Corporation (NYSE:ABX) Reviewed By Analysts
- 2 security guards shot at Miracle Mile Shops parking garage on Strip
- Posey, Giants hold off Padres
- Death Note poster teases Get Out actor's character
- Turquía despide a más de 7.000 policías, soldados y empleados de ministerios