JD Wetherspoon chairman Tim Martin on Wednesday used a sales growth update to take another swipe at anti-Brexit commentators, and told "gloomsters" to "put a sock in it".
While Wetherspoon's like-for-like sales rose 5.3 per cent in the 11 weeks through July 9, the United Kingdom pub industry is under strain after the pound's devaluation following the Brexit vote pushed up the cost of imported food and beer.
He has also lashed out at former chancellor George Osborne, the International Monetary Fund, the Bank of England, the CBI, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley and PwC, who he claims were too negative about the impact of a Leave vote.
In the year to date, like-for-like sales increased by 3.9% and total sales rose by 1.9%.
The company has opened nine new pubs since the start of the financial year and has sold or closed 38, with plans to open one more pub before the year-end.
Weingarten Realty Investors (NYSE:WRI) Reviewed By Analysts
The stock of Thomas Cook Group plc (LON:TCG) has "Neutral" rating given on Monday, September 26 by JP Morgan. The stock of Weingarten Realty Investors (NYSE:WRI) has "Hold" rating given on Monday, June 19 by Jefferies.
"However, the public can see that the recession, combined with increased unemployment and interest rates, predicted by numerous same economists for the immediate aftermath of a leave vote, did not materialise". In July previous year, after printing 200,000 beer mats calling into question the public's trust of the International Monetary Fund, he said forecasters at investment banks were practicing "irresponsible doom-mongering" and didn't understand economics.
"As a result, they are loading the dice hugely in favour of European Union negotiators".
Martin, 62, said he had a message for "gloomsters" such as Carolyn Fairbairn, head of the Confederation of British Industry: "Put a sock in it".
We'll do well with or without a free trade deal, so stop tying the hands of our negotiators, who are doing their best to achieve a respectable outcome.
"The CBI and the wider business community is committed to making a success of the negotiations".
- Frontier Communications Corporation (NASDAQ:FTR) Slips Lower Pre-Market
- Avis Budget Group, Inc
- LEAKED: Kareena Kapoor Khan reveals the story of Veere Di Wedding
- IIFA 2017: Salman Khan Escorts Stepmother Helen To New York
- Landau Eugene Murphy Jr. arrested in Logan County
- Wells Fargo to Sell Shareowner Services Business for $227 Million
- Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.
- Beep cow, Hindu India, Gujarat from Amartya Sen film
- Quand le président du CA voulait enquêter sur les journalistes et un député — Samusocial
- Accord entre l'Atlético Madrid et le FC Séville pour Vitolo