The U.S. Department of the Interior is now reviewing the designations for 27 of our national monuments. The 346,177-acre monument was created in 2014.
Ani Kame'-enui with the National Parks Conservation Association believes President Donald Trump's executive order to review the monuments amounts to an attack on the Antiquities Act, which grants the president the power to protect sites on land already owned by the federal government.
In April, President Trump directed Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke to review 27 monuments of more than 100,000 acres created since 1996.
Alexis Sanchez has not asked to leave Arsenal, says Arsene Wenger
I've told my Basaksehir team-mates that this team could become a mini-City. "I've met people from Galatasaray and Basaksehir". Asked whether Sanchez had told him he wanted to leave, the Frenchman added: "No".
Now protected under the Antiquities Act of 1906 - legislation that reflected the naturalist passions of Republican President Theodore Roosevelt - the monuments are treasured by many tourists, locals and environmentalists alike, but also eyed by businesses (and their workers) prevented by statute from exploiting their lands and waters.
This StoryMap showcases 13 of the monuments in question. The Department of Interior is accepting public comments through July 10.
If you want to submit your comments, they have to be done before midnight Monday.
- Analyst's Indicator Review for Fastenal Company (FAST), SS&C Technologies Holdings, Inc. (SSNC)
- " "Theo Hernandez heureux " dans le plus grand club du monde " — Real Madrid
- 'something has to be done' with N.Korea
- Wareham schools locked down after threat, school says
- The Advisory Board Company (NASDAQ:ABCO) Stock Rating Reaffirmed by Stifel Nicolaus
- Under Armour, Inc. (UAA), CBRE Group, Inc. (CBG) — Investors Focused Movers
- Protests prevent Melania Trump from attending G20 events
- Box Office Usa: Spider-Man: Homecoming regna sovrano con $ 140 milioni
- Give unpaid carers a break, urges charity
- Named the best country for immigration