As smart home devices like the Amazon Echo and the Google Home become more and more common in the US, there has been a growing fear among privacy advocates about the implications of "always-on" speakers that could record illicit dealings.
It seems like an awesome tech miracle, but it was more of a fluke than anything, upon closer inspection.
ABC News reports that Eduardo Barros, 28, and his unidentified girlfriend were house-sitting in Tijeras, New Mexico, near Albuquerque, on July 2 when the woman received a text message.
"Did you call the sheriffs?" he then asked her.
American River Bankshares (AMRB) Analysts See $0.20 EPS, Tango Has 0.77 Sentiment
White Pine Limited Liability Corporation holds 0.1% of its portfolio in American River Bankshares (NASDAQ:AMRB) for 15,300 shares. The investment professionals in our partner's database now possess: 2.82 million shares, up from 2.72 million shares in 2016Q3.
For 30 hours or so, Prime members will be able to pick up the intelligent cylinder for $90 after a 50 percent markdown, an irresistible steal that Big G is looking to neutralize with its own "limited quantity" Google Home offer on eBay. "The unexpected use of this new technology to contact emergency services has possibly helped save a life", the County Sheriff Manuel Gonzales later said in a statement. "This incredible technology definitely helped save a mother and her child from a very violent situation", Bernalillo County Sheriff Manuel Gonzales III told ABC News.
Barros is being held without bail on charges of "possession of a firearm or destructive device by a felon, aggravated battery against a household member, aggravated assault against a household member and false imprisonment".
It might not be the only smart speaker to save a life, with third-party apps for Amazon Echo giving users CPR instructions.
- DTE Maharashtra 2017: CAP Round II 2017 allotment results declared; check dtemaharashtra
- Emile Ntamack nommé manager général de la formation — Stade Toulousain
- Manchester United agree £35million fee to sign midfield powerhouse wanted by Chelsea
- Formula One: Bottas beats Vettel in Austria, Hamilton fourth
- Japan's Okinoshima island gains Unesco World Heritage status
- Highbridge Capital Management LLC Takes Position in Prudential Financial, Inc. (NYSE:PRU)
- Chelsea loan Ola Aina to Hull as Leonid Slutsky targets Blues youngsters
- Plane crash kills 2 in S
- Une intelligence artificielle crée un clip quotidien pour Muse
- Umbrella-sharing company loses most of its 300000 umbrellas