The article, quoting sources familiar with the matter, says that taking the game global is part of Tencent's plans to diversify its revenue base.
Move over Pokemon Go and Candy Crush, a new, highly addictive mobile game is coming to the US and Europe courtesy of Tencent, the Chinese technology company. "In the future, we will also look for opportunities to release it to other countries in Europe and the US". The company, best known for its WeChat messaging service, aims to build on the success of a title that may account for a majority of its smartphone gaming revenue this year. The self-developed Honour of Kings, in which players hack and slash their way through battle arenas, has been gradually introduced to select markets beyond China, such as Turkey and Thailand. Now it also will launch in the U.S., France, Italy, Spain and Germany, the people said. For instance, some of the existing global takes let players assume the mantle of Van Helsing or Batman, in a tie-up with Warner Bros Interactive Entertainment and DC Entertainment Inc respectively.
Tencent's move to bring the game to USA shores comes at a time when Honour of Kings is facing backlash from the Chinese government, parents and educators due to its highly addictive nature. The Shenzhen-based company declined to comment.
If you haven't heard anything about Tencent's Honor of Kings, no one will be surprised since the game isn't available in the European Union and the USA, but that doesn't mean this China-based MOBA isn't a huge game.
The company doesn't have a timeline for when the game will hit the new markets.
Land Dispute near India-China-Bhutan Tri-Junction
Geng also claimed India had ulterior motives in expanding the scope of the tri-junction region in the Sikkim sector. The Indian troops intervened on June 16 on behalf of Bhutan to stop the road construction by the Chinese.
The company earlier this week came under fire after the Chinese government's premier newspaper blasted Honor of Kings, saying it cultivated addiction and harmed children in the pursuit of profit.
The game has about 55 million daily active users generating estimated monthly revenue of $141.09 million, according to Reuters.
The company has already unveiled different overseas versions for Honor of Kings, for instance in Hong Kong via Sea Ltd's Garena platform.
It is also distributed in Taiwan, Thailand and South Korea.
- EU Parliament Urges Formal Suspension Of Turkey Accession Talks
- The Fitbit's (NYSE:FIT) "Neutral" Rating Reaffirmed at Dougherty & Co
- Intermap Technologies Corp (ITMSF) Moves -8.33%
- Plains All American Pipeline, LP (NYSE:PAA) Declares Quarterly Dividend of $0.55
- The Grudge Reboot Recruits Nicolas Pesce To Write And Direct
- Secretary of Defense On North Korea: "Our Defenses Right Now Are Sufficient"
- Judge: Jury can consider lesser charge against ex-officer
- Three candidates disqualified from Rwanda's presidential election
- HSN, Inc. (HSNI) Analysts See $0.61 EPS
- Second fire breaks out near Breckenridge