The article, quoting sources familiar with the matter, says that taking the game global is part of Tencent's plans to diversify its revenue base.
Move over Pokemon Go and Candy Crush, a new, highly addictive mobile game is coming to the US and Europe courtesy of Tencent, the Chinese technology company. "In the future, we will also look for opportunities to release it to other countries in Europe and the US". The company, best known for its WeChat messaging service, aims to build on the success of a title that may account for a majority of its smartphone gaming revenue this year. The self-developed Honour of Kings, in which players hack and slash their way through battle arenas, has been gradually introduced to select markets beyond China, such as Turkey and Thailand. Now it also will launch in the U.S., France, Italy, Spain and Germany, the people said. For instance, some of the existing global takes let players assume the mantle of Van Helsing or Batman, in a tie-up with Warner Bros Interactive Entertainment and DC Entertainment Inc respectively.
Tencent's move to bring the game to USA shores comes at a time when Honour of Kings is facing backlash from the Chinese government, parents and educators due to its highly addictive nature. The Shenzhen-based company declined to comment.
If you haven't heard anything about Tencent's Honor of Kings, no one will be surprised since the game isn't available in the European Union and the USA, but that doesn't mean this China-based MOBA isn't a huge game.
The company doesn't have a timeline for when the game will hit the new markets.
HSN, Inc. (HSNI) Analysts See $0.61 EPS
Craig Hallum set a $40.00 price objective on HSN and gave the stock a hold rating in a research note on Thursday, May 4th. Credit Agricole S A acquired a new stake in shares of HSN during the fourth quarter valued at approximately $286,000.
The company earlier this week came under fire after the Chinese government's premier newspaper blasted Honor of Kings, saying it cultivated addiction and harmed children in the pursuit of profit.
The game has about 55 million daily active users generating estimated monthly revenue of $141.09 million, according to Reuters.
The company has already unveiled different overseas versions for Honor of Kings, for instance in Hong Kong via Sea Ltd's Garena platform.
It is also distributed in Taiwan, Thailand and South Korea.
- Secretary of Defense On North Korea: "Our Defenses Right Now Are Sufficient"
- AJ Styles Wins US Title At WWE Madison Square Garden House Show
- Three candidates disqualified from Rwanda's presidential election
- Hot Trending Stock: Nordic American Tankers Limited (NAT)
- Police shoot man, woman at Melbourne club
- Evacuation orders issued for parts of BC's interior
- The Stifel Nicolaus Increases ProLogis, Inc. (PLD) Price Target to $60.00
- Plains All American Pipeline, LP (NYSE:PAA) Declares Quarterly Dividend of $0.55
- The Fitbit's (NYSE:FIT) "Neutral" Rating Reaffirmed at Dougherty & Co
- Land Dispute near India-China-Bhutan Tri-Junction