Despite his optimism, the Trump administration has not committed to providing federal financing for the tunnel, raising questions about whether it supports the project.
PRESS RELEASEFed Transport Department Quits Board of "Gateway Project"-Will the Hudson River Crossing Between NJ and NY Collapse?"
Construction of two new rail tubes in a single tunnel beneath the Hudson River could maintain the existing level of train service while the North River Tunnel tubes are taken out of service, one at a time, for rehabilitation.
A funding agreement from the Obama era has NY and New Jersey splitting half the cost and the federal government paying for the other half. Rehabilitating the existing tunnel could cost $1.8 billion, the report said. Together, they are estimated to cost $12.9 billion.
The current tunnel that carries Amtrak and New Jersey Transit trains into Manhattan is more than 100 years old. Local officials worry that the tunnel will continue to deteriorate, requiring major repairs that would wreak havoc on commuting in the region.
Lawmakers from NY and New Jersey have called on Washington to help fund Gateway.
Top striker says goodbye to Chelsea squad ahead of summer move
Chelsea need to take action in the summer transfer window, as they might have already lost the race for Lukaku. Diego Costa is willing to have showdown talks with Antonio Conte - and could yet play for Chelsea next season.
Construction of the new tunnel could begin in 2019.
Commuters who rely on Penn Station are already bracing for hardships this summer when several tracks are closed for repairs.
The Hudson tunnel plan is part of a broader series of upgrades known as the Gateway program.
Officials are now pegging the cost of the Gateway Hudson tunnel project at $12.9 billion dollars.
"This is actually two things", Porcari said at a news conference Thursday. The earlier figures, he said, were a "conceptual number".
- Jose Mourinho gave Man United 12-man transfer wish list
- Genesio attend un défenseur rapidement — OL
- PM Narendra Modi, Xi Jinping shake hands, chat at BRICS meeting
- Ameriprise Financial Inc. Reduces Stake in Sierra Bancorp (NASDAQ:BSRR)
- Jay-Z Jewish lyric spurs criticism from ADL
- Short Term Technical Outlook: FNB Corporation (FNB), People's United Financial, Inc. (PBCT)
- Zynga Inc. (ZNGA) Position Maintained by Great West Life Assurance Co. Can
- Mannarino sanctionné pour avoir percuté un ramasseur de balles — Wimbledon
- Mother and three children die in Bolton house fire
- Loretta Lynch Denies Assurances to Clinton Over Email Probe