In a statement Chief of Staff and Head of Public Service, Joseph Kinyua said Nkaissery fell unwell and was rushed to hospital for check up.
"It is with deep sorrow and shock that we announce the sudden passing on of Interior Cabinet Secretary Retired General Joseph Nkaissery", Kinyua said, promising to provide more information later.
"Gen. Nkaissery passed on at Karen Hospital in Nairobi a few hours after being admitted for a check-up", he said.
On Friday, Nkaissery accompanied President Uhuru Kenyatta to attend a peace prayer rally by the Evangelical Alliance of Kenya at Uhuru Park to pray for peaceful elections.
His body has been transferred to Lee Funeral Home in Nairobi.
Max Verstappen: Austria kerbs 'not designed' for Formula One
Verstappen's Red Bull has been unreliable all year, forcing the 19-year-old to retire four times so far in 2017. The Brazilian agrees with Verstappen about the kerbs and raises concerns about cars returning to the track.
The cause of death is still unknown.
He later joined politics in 2002.
Before that, he was the member of parliament for Kajiado Central constituency on an Orange Democratic Movement (ODM) ticket.
He served as Assistant Minister for Internal Security in the Grand coalition government between 2008-2013. In December 2014, he was appointed as the CS Interior and Coordination, a position he has held to his demise this morning.
- Springer, Astros hammer Blue Jays
- Registration now open for Calvary Baptist Church Vacation Bible School
- Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin Meet at G20 Summit
- Dallas police will patrol San Antonio, giving grieving colleagues some relief
- Mayo has joint highest average age in Ireland
- Bob Sinclar: cambriolé à Ibiza, il demande qu'on lui rende sa musique !
- Aaron Judge passes Joe DiMaggio for most Yankee rookie home runs
- La diplomatie US énonce les objectifs du cessez-le-feu en Syrie
- Landrieu adopts plan to combat effects of climate change in New Orleans
- J&K: 2 civilians killed, several injured as Pak violates ceasefire in Poonch