When asked on Friday about a possible Australian missile defence system against such threats as a North Korean intercontinental ballistic missile, Mr Turnbull said the Australian focus was on protecting deployed forces in the field.
In May testimony to Congress, however, Vice Admiral James Syring, then the director of the Missile Defence Agency, said FTT-18 would aim to demonstrate THAAD's ability to intercept a separating IRBM target.
The THAAD (Terminal High Altitude Area Defence) system is US Army anti-ballistic missile defence system.
USA intelligence agencies said the missile was most likely a new ICBM with an estimated range of 5,500 kilometers (3,400 miles), capable of hitting Alaska.
The test comes amid growing tensions over North Korea's ballistic missile program.
An Intercontinental Ballistic Missile reached a height of 2,802 kilometres (1741 miles), according to state broadcaster Korea Central Television (KCTV).
Trader's Buzzer: Best Buy Co., Inc. (BBY)
Cambria Investment Management L.P. boosted its stake in Best Buy Co., Inc. (NYSE: BBY ) in a research note published on Thursday. In other Best Buy Co. news, VP Mathew Watson sold 758 shares of the firm's stock in a transaction dated Tuesday, May 23rd.
US Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley earlier said North Korea's ICBM launch test was a "clear and sharp military escalation" and military action remained on the table.
Seoul and Washington reached an agreement over the THAAD's deployment in July previous year, declaring that the objective is to protect South Korea against North Korea's alleged missile threats.
The United States has THAAD interceptors in Guam that are meant to help guard against a missile attack from a country such as North Korea.
THAAD, which is a ground-based missile system that can defend against short-, medium- and intermediate-range ballistic missiles at the terminal stage of flight, became operational in South Korea in May.
There is now a THAAD battery in South Korea but only two of the scheduled six launchers on the battery are operational as the South Korean government performs an "environmental impact" study at the golf course where the battery is deployed. "They have also adversely impacted India's national security", a statement from the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) said.
- 'I'd like to knock him out': Nick Kyrgios makes another enemy
- Ces joueurs d’origine africaine évoluant pour des nations européennes
- Kings Free Agent Forward Agrees to Terms With Spurs
- Defender in Liverpool contract talks months after signing current deal
- Clapper: No evidence others besides Russian Federation meddled in election
- Pier 1 Imports, (NYSE:PIR) Raised To Keep at Gordon Haskett
- Oilers sign Jokinen to one-year deal
- Perceptive Advisors LLC Has $7991000 Position in Alder BioPharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ:ALDR)
- The Tahoe Resources (TAHO) Receiving Favorable Press Coverage, Report Finds
- Kendall and Kylie Jenner Are Getting Sued over Their Awful T-shirts