There, he defeated Owens for the title, marking the first championship change to happen at a WWE live show since Shinsuke Nakamura in December 2016.
In a rarity for WWE, one of the company's titles changed hands at a house show tonight.
The last major house show title changes that WWE did were both in NXT.
AJ Styles is your new United States Champion. His first championship was the WWE title, which he won on September 11, 2016 and held for 140 days before losing to John Cena in January 2017 at the Royal Rumble. As a matter of fact, in the old days, titles could change hands on house shows but would return to the champion in a rematch on another house show and the WWE would never acknowledge it.
So why did the WWE have AJ Styles defeat Kevin Owens at this live event? As soon as AJ Styles beat Kevin Owens for the United States title, numerous photos popped up on Twitter as well as the video embedded below. The shortlist features only John Cena and now AJ Styles.
Lucinda Brand takes solo win at Giro Rosa despite late-race crash
I felt really good all day and on the climb I made a decision to try to get away and chase the other breakaway riders down. Anna van der Breggen remains in the leader's jersey.
Well, Styles had his match on Friday night, but not at a pay-per-view - it came at a live event, at Madison Square Garden in New York City, NY.
AJ Styles is the new United States Champion.
This might be a rather odd move on WWE's part.
Styles won a battle royal in the main event of the Fourth of July edition of SmackDown to earn a title shot against Owens at Battleground. So just like that, KO lost his title in somewhat surprising fashion for a second time.
- Snakes missing after Texas rollover wreck
- New Hampshire honored in Budweiser campaign
- PM: Dr M's U-turn due to forex probe
- 15 arrested during protest outside Sen. Portman's office
- Women's March Angry Over New Ad, Set To Protest NRA
- Paris raises the stakes in fight for United Kingdom banks
- Evacuation orders issued for parts of BC's interior
- HSN, Inc. (HSNI) Analysts See $0.61 EPS
- WWE Releases Austin Aries from WWE Contract
- Cristiano Ronaldo moins vendeur que Selena Gomez et Kim Kardashian