Kirkpatrick was part of the 1st Battalion, 36th Infantry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 1st Armored Division, assigned to Fort Bliss, Texas.
Pentagon spokesman Navy Captain Jeff Davis said the soldiers had been conducting an off-base operation with partnered Afghan security forces when they came under fire.
Indirect fire typically refers to attacks with shells launched from a mortar.
The Trump administration is considering adding several thousand troops, largely in a training and support capacity, to the pared-down US military presence in Afghanistan. The attack, presumably by Taliban fighters, occurred in Helmand province's Nawa district, and also caused injuries to two other US soldiers who are expected to survive, Davis added.
Charlton Athletic lose potential star to Manchester United
The 16-year-old began his youth career in Anderlecht's academy before moving to Charlton Athletic to continue his progress as a player.
Two other service members were wounded in Monday's attack in Helmand province, according to a statement from the United States Armed Forces-Afghanistan. John McCain (R-Ariz), visited Afghanistan and Pakistan over the last several days.
Defense Secretary James Mattis has promised to deliver Congress a new strategy for the 16-year-old war by mid-July.
The United States is considering sending thousands of additional USA troops to Afghanistan, after Gen. Nicholson requested the force increase to break what he called a "stalemate" in the war.
At a summit last month in Brussels, NATO pledged to send more troops to Afghanistan to advise and assist rather than fight the war themselves.
"At a time when we remember the patriots who founded our nation in freedom, we are saddened by the loss of one of our comrades who was here protecting our freedom at home", Gen. John Nicholson, the top USA commander in Afghanistan, said in a statement. The U.S. -led intervention toppled the Taliban government, which harbored al Qaeda, the architects of the attacks. In 2014, North Atlantic Treaty Organisation drew down force levels in the country and Afghan security forces took over front line combat.
- Les anti-G20 lancent la contestation à Hambourg — Allemagne
- FTC Approves Bass Pro, Cabela's Merger
- Dak Prescott accused of using machine to sign autograph
- Arab nations receive Qatar's response to demands
- Jacob Rees-Mogg announces birth of sixth child Sixtus Dominic Boniface Christopher
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui learns some swanky moves from Tiger Shroff in Swag!
- "Je n'abandonnerai jamais le Japon" — Phil Spencer (Microsoft)
- Trump Calls Merkel Ahead Of G20, Wants To Make Summit "A Success"
- Bulldogs star Boyd given leave to deal with clinical depression
- "Les impôts pour maintenant, les autres mesures différées" — Larcher