Nigeria's Quadri Aruna and Egypt's Dina Meshref have secured their places at this year's International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) World Cups after winning the respective men's and women's singles events at the African Cup in Moroccan city Agadir.
An elated Aruna Quadri said he believes luck was in his favour as his opponent also played well. They made the country proud and the match between Aruna Quadri and Omar Assar was highly technical and this goes to show that we need good and quality coach to handle our players because having played good players without coach and won, it is obvious that we need a more experienced coach to handle our top players.
Quadri had earlier dispatched another Egyptian - Mohammed Beiali 4-0 in the semi-finals before edging Assar 4-3 to win the singles championship.
Meshref will represent Africa at the ITTF World Cup in France.
In the women's singles final, Olufunke Oshonaike surrendered to Egypt's Dina Meshref as the Nigerian champion lost 4-0.
Fiction becomes reality: Drama couples who got married in real life
Rumors the Songs were dating subsequently surfaced, fueled by reports of the two being seen together in NY . The two shared the grand prize at the KBS Drama Awards past year , as well as the award for best couple.
Despite playing without any coach, Aruna Quadri knew what was at stake in the encounter and he was calm and collected throughout the match to have an edge over the Egyptian. "I know the training regime Aruna has been going through and his determination to continue to be the pride of Nigeria in table tennis", observed Oshodi.
The next continental qualifier for the ITTF World Cups will be the Pan American Cup in Costa Rica's capital San José from July 28 to 30.
An excited Meshref described the World Cup as a "special tournament".
However, the only fears in sports circle now is if paucity of funds is not likely to stop Nigerian Athletes from participating at the Games in Australia next year.
- US Sen. John McCain visits troops in Afghanistan on Fourth of July
- China invites foreign cancer experts to treat Liu Xiaobo
- Traders can raise MRP of unsold items: Centre
- Pour la première fois : un TER à 200 km/h
- Kyle Edmund makes Wimbledon breakthrough but fellow Brits suffer
- TransAlta Corporation (NYSE:TAC) Receives Daily Media Impact Score of 0.24
- Flight Centre is about to hit a record $20 billion in sales
- Murdered refugee Bijan Ebrahimi treated like a perpetrator by police, IPCC finds
- Nevada RB James Butler transferring to Iowa for 2017 season
- Box office : Excellents débuts pour Moi Moche et Méchant 3