Collins doesn't expect Cespedes, who's already missed over a month this season with a left hamstring strain, to play on Tuesday. Michael Taylor had a two-run shot for the Nats. On an afternoon where Stephen Strasburg and Steven Matz traded zeroes for seven innings, the Nationals scored a pair in the eighth inning to take the lead, but became knotted up again when Curtis Granderson slugged a two-run homer with two outs in the Mets' half of the ninth.
Phillies pitcher Aaron Nola tossed seven shutout innings with eight strikeouts against the Pirates.
Brewers shortstop Orlando Arcia has been one of the hottest hitters in baseball during the last couple weeks, and nothing changed Monday. He was 1-for-4 in Monday's loss.
Gov. Christie defends going to beach during shutdown
The governor was asked if he had gotten to the beach later in the day on Sunday during a news conference about the shutdown. Christie said he was spending time with his family at a beach house available for use by New Jersey's governor.
Masahiro Tanaka pitched seven sharp innings for his second straight win following a long slump, and the Yankees beat the skidding Blue Jays.
Rockies outfielder Raimel Tapia finished a single shy of a cycle against the Reds. Conforto entered Sunday sixth in the NL in on-base percentage (.405) and leads the Mets in batting average (.285) while ranking second in RBIs (41) and homers (14, tied with 1B Lucas Duda), his selection came as a mild surprise considering he hit just.206 in June and was placed on the disabled list Saturday (retroactive to Wednesday) with a bone bruise on his left hand. Unfortunately, he struck out his fourth time up to bat, needing just a single for the rare feat.
Marlins starting pitcher Jeff Locke gave up a shocking 11 earned runs in just 2.5 innings against the Cardinals. Locke, who is now 0-5 with an 8.16 ERA this season helped the Cardinals get more hits through three innings Monday night (11) than they had accumulated in their last two games combined (nine). Not only are the D-backs and Dodgers teams trying to win their division, they are in a fight with the Astros for the best record in baseball.
- John Terry completes free transfer to Aston Villa
- Accused kidnapper spotted at vigil for alleged victim
- Politics Kano State Assembly Speaker 'Kabiru Rurum' Resigns
- Florian Lejeune poses in Newcastle shirt as Magpies unveil second summer signing
- AS Monaco sign Terence Kongolo from Feyenoord on long-term deal
- GOP senator: Ignore Trump's tweets, focus on health care
- Meister's Corvex Said To Target Clariant In Bid To Derail Huntsman Merger
- Canaccord Genuity Analysts Give Kite Pharma, Inc. (KITE) a $115.00 Price Target
- Pakistan's Kainat Imtiaz meets idol Jhulan Goswami in India clash
- Intellectus Partners LLC Sells 1890 Shares of Marathon Petroleum Corporation (NYSE:MPC)