Mardi, 13 Novembre 2018
Dernières nouvelles
Principale » Delhi: Liquid nitrogen in cocktail leaves hole in man's stomach

Delhi: Liquid nitrogen in cocktail leaves hole in man's stomach

04 Juillet 2017

After gulping the liquid nitrogen, a hole was formed inside his stomach.

"Within seconds, my stomach started swelling and I was in unbearable pain". Highlights Businessman drank liquid oxygen cocktail which comes with vapours Rushed to hospital, doctors say almost half stomach removed United Kingdom has seen a campaign demanding ban on liquid nitrogen cocktailsHours after he walked into a pub in Gurgaon, a young businessman from Delhi was rushed to hospital where doctors removed what they describe as "nearly half his stomach".

It has a boiling point of -195.8 degree celsius, which is the temperature at which the vapor pressure of the substance is equal to the pressure of gas over it. "Breathing was also hard", said the man who didn't want to be identified.

However, doctors' advice that if liquid nitrogen is ingested in some form before it evaporates totally, it can lead to severe tissue damage. It's expansion ratio is 1:694 at 20 degree celsius, meaning that 1 litre of liquid nitrogen at 20 degree celsius can expand to 694 litres of nitrogen gas.

Dr Mriganka S Sharma, a co-surgeon in this case, said the most probable cause of such perforation is liquid nitrogen. Minutes later, he was in excruciating pain and his stomach was swollen. Reports claimed that the doctors had to remove a part of his stomach and the medical team was unsure if the person would make it through and live to see another day. "But in this case, the abdomen looked like an open book", Dr Amit D Goswami, who attended to the man at Columbia Asia Hospital in Gurgaon, was quoted as saying by the TOI. There was oxygen deprivation and so the man was put on the ventilator for 3 days.

Governor prepares budget plan as shutdown appears imminent
A special Committee of Conference, created to resolve the budget stalemate, passed a new budget compromise plan Sunday night. The shutdown began early Saturday after rounds of budget votes failed Friday due to resistance from House Republicans .

A CT scan showed large free air in the abdominal cavity due to perforation of either stomach or intestines.

Doctors had to perform an emergency surgery to save his life.

Goswami, who operated on the man, said that he was afraid that he would not survive as the stomach was open like a book in middle and lower portion and lots of food and dirty fluids had dripped into the abdominal cavity.

It was also not possible to stitch back the stomach since the hole was very large and tissue near the tear was also damaged. "Because of the large perforation and unhealthy tissues surrounding the perforation, the surgical team chose to remove the lower portion of the stomach and artificially join the remaining portion with small intestine", Dr Goswami said.

The incident happened two months ago and the man has recovered completely, according to the report. "I have stopped drinking since", he says.

Delhi: Liquid nitrogen in cocktail leaves hole in man's stomach