Mercredi, 27 Mai 2020
Dernières nouvelles
Principale » Suspect in train station blast confirmed dead

Suspect in train station blast confirmed dead

26 Juin 2017

The Brussels Public prosecutor has said that there have been no civilian deaths or injuries in the incident.

The incident in Brussels comes a day after a man mowed down Muslims near a mosque in London, and a radical Islamist on a terror watch-list rammed a auto laden with weapons and gas into a police vehicle in Paris.

An explosion at a train station in Brussels, Belgium, on Tuesday that prompted the station to be evacuated but left no victims injured, is considered a terrorist attack, according to the Belgian federal prosecutor's office. They declined comment on witness accounts that the man had shouted Islamist slogans first.

Police spokesman Eric Van Der Sypt on Wednesday revealed that the assailant was a 36-year-old Moroccan national, adding that "he was not known to the authorities for any terrorism connection". "It's clear that he wanted certainly to cause more damage than he did", he said. "The bag exploded twice but it could have been a lot worse". One man has reportedly been shot, though there have been no confirmed reports of casualties so far by the authorities. The soldiers fatally shot the attacker.

"A search was carried out at his residence", the spokesman said without specifying any results of the search.

He said the man appeared to be 30 to 35 years of age.

Prosecutor's spokeswoman Ine Van Wymersch said early Wednesday the man had been lying still since soldiers shot him on Tuesday night.

British mum Rozina Spinnoy was caught up in the incident as she was on her way home at 9pm and said she fled the station after hearing gunshots.

Mayweather To Fight Conor McGregor August 26
Mayweather , meanwhile, has only fought at 154lbs on a handful of occasions and didn't have to cut much (if any) weight to do so. Mayweather compiled a 49-0 record before retiring following a unanimous decision victory over Andre Berto in September 2015.

Belgium has been on high alert since suicide bombers killed 32 people on the Brussels subway and at an airport in March 2016.

Belgian will keep its current terror alert level at three on a scale of four, Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel said on Wednesday.

Central Station is reopening to passengers on Wednesday morning, with a heavy police presence. A mobile police command unit and several officers were still at the station, an Associated Press photographer said.

Brussels Central Station was evacuated and closed Tuesday evening in the wake of the failed bombing, along with two other stations in the Belgian capital.

Burn marks remained on the floor at the scene, as workers continued to clean up and paint the area.

The country's Crisis Centre, which monitors security threats, kept the threat level at the second highest level.

Mr Dales, who there in his capacity as an adviser to MEP John Procter, said he returned to his hotel to find it inside a police cordon set up after the terror attack.

Suspect in train station blast confirmed dead