SpaceX just capped off two successful missions to space this weekend - the company's quickest launch turnaround yet.
The rocket placed into orbit the second set of 10 Iridium Next satellites for Iridium. On June 23, a Falcon 9 launched the BulgariaSat-1 satellite from the Kennedy Space Center in Florida, using a first stage that previously launched the first batch of Iridium Next satellites in January.
These launches represent the largest number of launches in a single year for SpaceX - and the year is only half over.
The satellites that launched Sunday will be part of a so-called constellation operated by Iridium Communications Inc.
Iridium Next has many goals.
That means missing airplanes - like the Malaysia Airlines flight that vanished three years ago over the Indian Ocean - could become a thing of the past.
10 nouvelles fosses communes découvertes — RDC
Cette région du Kasaï, convient-il de souligner, est le théâtre des multiples scènes de tuerie depuis la fin de l'année 2016. Ces nouvelles fosses communes s'ajoutent aux 42 charniers déjà identifiées par les Nations Unies.
Thinking about watching a launch from the Space Coast? The last of the 10 satellites launched Sunday was deployed to low-Earth orbit at 2:37 p.m.
"We tried to work with other launch vehicle companies but all were at least twice the cost of SpaceX and unaffordable based on the scope of the network we needed to launch", Desch said, adding that he remains focused on the future.
SpaceX is the only company that has recovered, refurbished and then re-flown an orbital class rocket.
Sunday's mission did not use a pre-flown booster.
The rocket's first stage made a landing on a drone ship in the Pacific Ocean, touching down as planned despite concerns that conditions were "marginal" for the landing because of winds.
Though Iridium's contract with SpaceX now specifies that new first-stages will be used to launch the satellites, company Chief Executive Matt Desch said earlier this week he would be "open" to using a previously flown booster in the future.
- Modi greets nation on Eid-ul-Fitr
- Italy makes 5.2B euros in resources to keep 2 banks afloat
- Germany v Cameroon: Another embarrassment for VAR
- Prez, VP, PM greet people on Eid ul Fitr
- Cristiano Ronaldo Reportedly No Longer Wants Madrid Exit After Public Support
- Sounders draw with Timbers 2-2 in Cascadia Cup rivalry match
- North Korea Says Otto Warmbier Isn't the Biggest Victim in His Case
- ARMS June Update Includes Spectator and LAN Modes
- Oliver Stone - Poutine. extrait d'un documentaire très controversé
- Coupe des Confédérations : Tuiloma n'a pu éviter la défaite