Rabbi Zalmen Sorotzkin and seven others are being charged, accused of taking public assistance and defrauding the government of $1.3 million over recent years, law enforcement officials told the Asbury Park Press.
The Ocean County Prosecutor's Office and the Federal Bureau of Investigation conducted a raid on four locations in Lakewood, resulting in the arrest of at least eight people - including a rabbi. No one answered the phone there Monday morning.
The defendants would be making an appearance in U.S. District Court in Trenton on Monday afternoon at 1:30 p.m.
Rory Best to captain Lions against Hurricanes on Tuesday
Steve Hansen phoned a local radio station in New Zealand , Radio Sport , to call the Lions coach "desperate". Warren Gatland poked the bear, and sure enough it stirred, and roared.
All reside in Lakewood, a town near central New Jersey's shore that is home to a large Orthodox Jewish community.
Yocheved and Shimon Nussbaum hid their income by creating companies that they controlled but that were run by relatives, the complaint alleged. The couple made approximately $265,000 in 2011, more than double the maximum allowed to receive Medicaid benefits and more than triple the maximum for Section 8 benefits, according to the complaint.
- Contacts pour Hakan Calhanoglu (Bayer Leverkusen) — Milan AC
- Arconic ends Reynobond PE sales for high-rises after Grenfell fire
- Trump to welcome India's prime minister to White House
- Nantes: "Il faut oublier ce que j'ai fait avec Leicester" prévient Ranieri
- Chômage : Les premiers chiffres du quinquennat Macron dévoilés
- Magic has high hopes for No. 1 draft pick Ball
- Toni Nadal lauds `brilliant` Rafa post record 10th French Open triumph
- Republican senator has 'very serious' concerns on U.S. health-care bill
- Court lets travel ban mostly go into effect
- 27 towers evacuated in England after failure in fire alarm tests