Rabbi Zalmen Sorotzkin and seven others are being charged, accused of taking public assistance and defrauding the government of $1.3 million over recent years, law enforcement officials told the Asbury Park Press.
The Ocean County Prosecutor's Office and the Federal Bureau of Investigation conducted a raid on four locations in Lakewood, resulting in the arrest of at least eight people - including a rabbi. No one answered the phone there Monday morning.
The defendants would be making an appearance in U.S. District Court in Trenton on Monday afternoon at 1:30 p.m.
Toni Nadal lauds `brilliant` Rafa post record 10th French Open triumph
Nadal held break points in 10 of Federer's 11 service games and won 16 of 24 points that lasted 10 or more strokes. The integrity of Queen's remains intact however, with world No. 1 Andy Murray committed to defending his title.
All reside in Lakewood, a town near central New Jersey's shore that is home to a large Orthodox Jewish community.
Yocheved and Shimon Nussbaum hid their income by creating companies that they controlled but that were run by relatives, the complaint alleged. The couple made approximately $265,000 in 2011, more than double the maximum allowed to receive Medicaid benefits and more than triple the maximum for Section 8 benefits, according to the complaint.
- Rory Best to captain Lions against Hurricanes on Tuesday
- Avis teams up with Waymo on self-driving car program
- BMW announces $600M expansion as it celebrates 25 years
- Magic has high hopes for No. 1 draft pick Ball
- Contacts pour Hakan Calhanoglu (Bayer Leverkusen) — Milan AC
- Republican senator has 'very serious' concerns on U.S. health-care bill
- Court lets travel ban mostly go into effect
- Clashes hit Indian Kashmir on Eid festival
- Buffett's company buys 10 pct of real estate investment firm
- Featured Stock Overview: BlackBerry Limited (BBRY)