Russians have picked Soviet dictator Joseph Stalin as the greatest figure in history, a new poll said Monday, June 26, beating President Vladimir Putin into joint second alongside poet Alexander Pushkin, AFP says.
Stalin came out on top with 38 percent, while Putin shared second place on 34 percent with Russia's beloved national bard Pushkin.
Soviet revolutionary Vladimir Lenin reached fourth place with 32 percent, while Russian royal Peter the Great came in fifth with 29 percent.
If you're wondering about the preponderance of Russians, that would be because 17 of 20 people on the list were Russian figures.
But an increasing number of Russians now admire Stalin as a strong leader who led their country to victory in World War II.
GST could be studied in US B-schools: Modi
He said that when appropriate policies and governance are in place, the aspirations of the people of India can be achieved. We too will have to show the Trump administration what we can do for them in terms of creating business opportunities.
The list includes famed statesmen, writers and scientists but only three foreigners: Napoleon Bonaparte, Albert Einstein, and Isaac Newton.
Levada Centre, an independent pollster, conducted this poll in April and asked 1,600 Russians.
The results were vastly different than that of a similar poll done in 1989, where 12 percent chose Stalin.
Scholars estimate that under Stalin more than 1 million people were executed in political purges.
- Germany reach semis as referee needs VAR double-take
- As PM Narendra Modi, President Trump meet, all eyes on Washington
- Confederations Cup: Germany, Chile advance to semi-final
- Foo Fighters wow Glastonbury and tease their fans
- Ice Cube has big expectations for his Big3 3-on-3 league
- Analysts react to Amazon's $13.7B deal for Whole Foods
- Trump accuses Obama of not acting against Russian Federation , again
- Roger Federer to face Alexander Zverev in Halle final
- Travel ban, church-state case await action by Supreme Court
- EU Underwhelmed by UK's Brexit Offer for EU Nationals