Russians have picked Soviet dictator Joseph Stalin as the greatest figure in history, a new poll said Monday, June 26, beating President Vladimir Putin into joint second alongside poet Alexander Pushkin, AFP says.
Stalin came out on top with 38 percent, while Putin shared second place on 34 percent with Russia's beloved national bard Pushkin.
Soviet revolutionary Vladimir Lenin reached fourth place with 32 percent, while Russian royal Peter the Great came in fifth with 29 percent.
If you're wondering about the preponderance of Russians, that would be because 17 of 20 people on the list were Russian figures.
But an increasing number of Russians now admire Stalin as a strong leader who led their country to victory in World War II.
Southwest Michigan teens shot, killed in Knoxville, Tenn
The victims were identified as Sergio Rivera, 18, from Michigan; Jaloen Morris, 18, of Michigan, and Damien Lee, 16, of Knoxville. Investigators say three men were shot in their vehicle during a planned drug deal for high-grade marijuana.
The list includes famed statesmen, writers and scientists but only three foreigners: Napoleon Bonaparte, Albert Einstein, and Isaac Newton.
Levada Centre, an independent pollster, conducted this poll in April and asked 1,600 Russians.
The results were vastly different than that of a similar poll done in 1989, where 12 percent chose Stalin.
Scholars estimate that under Stalin more than 1 million people were executed in political purges.
- Furious Lewis Hamilton says Sebastian Vettel "disgraced himself" after Azerbaijan GP clash
- As PM Narendra Modi, President Trump meet, all eyes on Washington
- Ohio Gas Prices Rise But Stay Lower Than National Average
- Korea Denies Torturing US Student Warmbier
- Prada sells $185 paper clip, and Twitter can't hold it together
- Marines burned in MCAS Miramar explosion
- GST could be studied in US B-schools: Modi
- EU Underwhelmed by UK's Brexit Offer for EU Nationals
- Ice Cube has big expectations for his Big3 3-on-3 league
- Travel ban, church-state case await action by Supreme Court