He described the relationship between Russian Federation and Telegram as neutral relations.
Backing Russian legislators seeking to curb the anonymous use of encrypted chat apps, the Federal Security Service, Russia's powerful counterterrorism agency, said Monday that terrorists used the encrypted messenger app Telegram to plan the April bombing of the St. Petersburg metro that killed 15 people, including the bomber.
"During the operational participation in the investigation into the terrorist attack in St. Petersburg underground on April 3, the FSB has obtained credible information that the suicide bomber, his fellows and a foreign supervisor had used Telegram messenger to hide their criminal plot at all stages of the preparation for the terrorist attack", the FSB statement said. It has attracted about 100 million users since its launch in 2013.
The FSB charged that "the members of the worldwide terrorist organisations on Russian territory use Telegram".
Supreme Court revives parts of Trump travel ban order
The Supreme Court said today that it will consider arguments in the case against President Donald Trump's travel ban this fall. All 13 judges on those two courts who voted to strike down the revised travel ban were appointed by Democratic presidents.
The statement came as Russia's lower house of parliament, the Duma, moved forward on several laws targeting anonymity on the Russian segment of the Internet, including a ban on the use of virtual private networks that mask IP addresses.
If Telegram was banned, Dmitry Peskov, President Vladimir Putin's spokesman and an avid Telegram user, said he and other officials would switch to another service.Durov said the communications regulator's demands violated Russians' constitutional right to keep their correspondence secret and were also technically impossible to comply with. Once on the list, it would have to store information about its users on Russian servers and hand over user information to the authorities on request.
The 32-year-old had previously created Russia's popular VKontakte social media site, before founding Telegram in the United States. He also called the possible restriction of Telegram "paradoxical", objecting that the Russian government doesn't block WhatsApp and Facebook which are Amercian companies.
Draft legislation that has already secured initial backing in parliament would make it illegal for messaging services to have anonymous users.
- PSG : le clan Motta prévient Henrique
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' debuts to franchise low at box office
- Louis Tomlinson was insecure while in One Direction
- Ces joueurs d’origine africaine évoluant pour des nations européennes
- Utah Retirement Systems Maintains Position in Chesapeake Energy Corporation (CHK)
- Sounders draw with Timbers 2-2 in Cascadia Cup rivalry match
- Nicole Kidman, Keith Urban celebrate anniversary: '11 years of love'
- Modi greets nation on Eid-ul-Fitr
- Rihanna's Tweeting at World Leaders Asking Them to Fund Education
- Trump budget chief sees Fed continuing accommodative rate policy