Kumar is yet to file her nominations and is likely to do so on June 28, while Kovind has scored an early lead by embarking on his campaign starting from Uttarakhand and then Uttar Pradesh.
"It is my belief that the post of the President is above party politics and I will strive to keep it so", he said in a brief address to the media.
One set in which Shah was among the proposers was in Hindi, which some BJP leaders said was a rare practice.
Kovind, 71, filed the papers in the presence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, BJP President Amit Shah, Chief Ministers of states ruled by the Bharatiya Janata Party and its allies, as well as parties backing him.
The term of President Pranab Mukherjee ends on July 24.
Kovind's visit to Uttar Pradesh, which has the highest value of each vote in the presidential election, is part of his nation-wide tour during which he will talk to members of the electoral college that votes for the new president.
The presidential race between Congress and BJP has become intense with both the national parties trying to woo the Dalit vote bank in the country with the presidential elections.
Donald Trump is reportedly being sued for 'unprecedented constitutional violations'
And government further said that Trump's hotel revenues do not fit the definition of an improper payment under the constitution. Frosh (D) say Trump has broken many promises to keep separate his public duties and private business interests.
"I belong to this state", appealed Kovind who hails from Kanpur Dehat.
Further stressing on the conflict of interest on the presidential candidate among the various political parties in the country, Yogi said that, "Someone from Uttar Pradesh has been nominated for post of President".
A Rashtrapati Bhavan communique said Kovind's resignation has been accepted.
SP chief Akhilesh Yadav, who was present at the meeting where Meira Kumar's name was approved, may have signalled his preference, but will he able to convince his father Mulayam Singh Yadav, whom he supplanted as party chief. Apart from NDA parties, BJP has support of JD (U), TRS, YSRCP, AIADMK and BJD.
If elected, Kovind will be the second Dalit president after K R Narayanan.
- Now, Indrani Mukerjea booked for prison riot
- L'un des couples emblématiques s'en va — Scènes de ménages
- Frank de Boer named Crystal Palace manager on three-year deal
- Premier League - Chelsea : La prolongation de Thibaut Courtois au point mort
- United States health-insurance bill faces stiff opposition
- Stroll upturn helped by Austin 2014 auto test - Lowe
- Father: 'Secret Lance Stroll test not podium boost'
- Kovind to meet MPs, MLAs in Kashmir on Wednesday
- Insurance Companies Concerned About The Future Of Medicaid Under GOP Plan
- Libération du Nobel de la paix Liu Xiaobo atteint d'un cancer — Chine