Meet Martha, the 3-year-old Neopolitan Mastiff that won over the judges and the crowd for her drooling, excess skin and endless wrinkles.
In a rather unusual competition, a Neapolitan Mastiff won the 29th annual World's Ugliest Dog Contest.
She is a rescue dog and when she was found she was nearly blind.
Winning the title of World's Ugliest Dog certainly comes with the some perks, because not only does Martha get some serious bragging rights, but ABC 7 reports she also received $1,500, a trophy, and a free trip to NY for media appearances to further amplify her fame.
"She knocks over every water bucket no matter how securely attached to the fence", said owner Shirley Dawn Zindler of her homely hound.
The judges, on the basis of theirfirst impression, decided taking into account theunusual distinctive features of the animal, its individual characteristics, and the audience's reaction, the agency added.
Zindler says Martha, from Sebastopol, California, was rescued by the Dogwood Animal Rescue Project in Sonoma County when she was almost blind from chronic neglect.
'Drooling, snoring, gassy' mastiff named World's Ugliest Dog
Storm Shayler (R) holds her Chinese Crested dog, Chase and Miriam Tcheng (L) holds her Brussel Griffon Pug at the 2017 World's Ugliest Dog contest at Sonoma-Marin Fair on June 23, 2017 in Petaluma, California.
Vicky Adler from California called her Zoomer, an 8-year-old Chinese Crested dog, "a sexy boy".
The dog, described as gassy but gentle, spent much of its time on stage plopped on its side.
Her handler Shirley Zindler answered for her: "I'd gloat, but I need a nap".
The competition - which goes viral every year - usually attracts smaller dogs that compete for a $1,500 prize and a big, flashy trophy, but it's Martha who was crowned the victor this time! It has been a part of the Sonoma-Marin Fair in Petaluma annually for 29 years.
Often, it's older, smaller dogs that take home the title.
Daniel Ricciardo produces stunning drive to win Azerbaijan Grand Prix
It took a while for us all to realise what had happened though, because in the meantime both Force India drivers collided. It's risky driving and to get a 10-second penalty for that. "I'll do that just with him and clear it and move on.
- Insurance Companies Concerned About The Future Of Medicaid Under GOP Plan
- Frank de Boer named Crystal Palace manager on three-year deal
- People in India are now getting opportunities and the right environment - Modi
- Ricciardo wins Azerbaijan Grand Prix
- Felice Herrig Earns Third Straight Win Against Justine Kish
- L'un des couples emblématiques s'en va — Scènes de ménages
- Nestlé bondit après l'entrée de Third Point, L'Oréal au plus haut
- Presidential debate: Trump, Obama clash over health care
- President Pranab Mukherjee calls for better healthcare in rural areas
- Father: 'Secret Lance Stroll test not podium boost'