Cavendish only returned to racing this month after suffering from glandular fever, while Cummings underwent an operation two months ago after sustaining multiple fractures at the Tour of the Basque Country, making his twin successes at the nationals even more remarkable.
Cavendish would be joined in the Dimension Data team by countryman Steve Cummings, the British road race and time trial champion, who won stages at the 2015 and 2016 editions of the Tour de France. Cavendish's usual leadout man Mark Renshaw and mountain chaperone Bernhard Eisel are also in the team.
"As has been widely reported, it's been a hard few months for me on the back of the illness that set me back earlier on in the season", said the 30-time Tour stage victor.
"If I am being totally honest, had this not been the Tour de France we may have collectively taken a different approach with regards to my inclusion but I feel that I owe it to myself, the team, our sponsors and most importantly to the Tour itself given its history and everything that it stands for - as well as the emotional attachment I have for it - to give it my best and to put everything I have in to trying to help the team".
India, US Bilateral Trade Is Poised For A Multi-Fold Increase
Modi and Trump are due to hold afternoon talks and a working dinner at the White House, though no press conference is scheduled. America's top tech executives won't pass up an opportunity to meet Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi .
Barker led by a minute at one stage before being reeled in, with Katie Archibald (Team WNT) and defending champion Hannah Barnes (Canyon-SRAM) finishing second and third respectively.
But it appears that Cavendish has done enough to prove fitness for the Tour, where the sprinters will get opportunities on nine potential stages of the race.
Cavendish, 32, has just one victory in 2017.
Cavendish's main rivals in the sprints will be German duo Andre Greipel and Marcel Kittel, French trio Nacer Bouhanni, Bryan Coquard and Arnaud Demare, with Slovakian superstar Peter Sagan desperate to add stage wins to the green jerseys he has been piling up for his all-round consistency.
- Professor who said Otto Warmbier got 'what he deserved' loses job
- Juror: Cosby panel was concerned about 'politics' of case
- PM Narendra Modi greets nation on Eid
- Promoted Saudi Crown Prince 'Betting On Trump's Support For New Policies'
- Officials to discuss condition of officer stabbed at airport
- Trump lashes out at Obama over latest report on Russian election meddling
- DUP agrees deal to prop up Tory minority government
- 10 nouvelles fosses communes découvertes — RDC
- Bulls rebuild places spotlight brightly on management and coaching
- Hopes fade of finding more China landslide survivors