A U.S. backed Syrian coalition of Kurdish and Arab groups have made advances into Raqqa the de facto capital of the so-called Islamic State group.
IS has suffered a series of setbacks in recent months at the hands of an array of Syrian and Iraqi forces.
"Since the offensive began, the SDF have captured around 25 percent of the city's built-up neighbourhoods", Rami Abdel Rahman, head of the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, told AFP on Monday.
Cihan Shekh Ehmed, a spokeswoman for the USA -backed militia known as the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the group's fighters seized the western district of al-Qadisiya from IS on Monday.
ASL Airlines France inaugure son Paris-Alger — Algérie
La route, ouverte le 23 juin, est exploitée cinq fois par semaine pendant l'été, puis six fois à partir du 1er septembre. Le mois prochain, la compagnie aérienne française lancera un service saisonnier Paris-Chlef.
From those neighbourhoods, they were bearing down on Raqqa's Old City in a pincer movement on Monday, with fighting raging in the western al-Qadisiya district and parts of the city's east.
The battle for Raqa is the SDF's flagship offensive, with heavy backing from coalition air strikes, advisers, weapons and equipment.
The report of the gains comes on the same day that US -led Iraqi government troops reported major advances against IS in Mosul, the group's capital in Iraq and its last stronghold in that country.
It became infamous as the scene of some of the group's worst atrocities, including public beheadings, and is thought to have been a hub for planning attacks overseas.
- Senate Bill To Replace Obamacare Could Be In Jeopardy
- Supreme Court battle over political districts unlikely to affect California's system
- Fire crews battle blaze at apartment complex near Seminole Heights
- Amnesty warns that May-DUP negotiations must not undermine abortion law reform
- The Case for and Against The Home Depot, Inc. (HD)
- Cam Newton Resumes Throwing Following Offseason Surgery on Shoulder Injury
- Olivia Wilde's new play has audience members fainting, vomiting and getting arrested
- Décès de l'ancien Premier ministre, Habib Thiam — NÉCROLOGIE
- Five Republican senators now oppose health care bill as written
- Foo Fighters make joyous return to Glastonbury