A U.S. backed Syrian coalition of Kurdish and Arab groups have made advances into Raqqa the de facto capital of the so-called Islamic State group.
IS has suffered a series of setbacks in recent months at the hands of an array of Syrian and Iraqi forces.
"Since the offensive began, the SDF have captured around 25 percent of the city's built-up neighbourhoods", Rami Abdel Rahman, head of the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, told AFP on Monday.
Cihan Shekh Ehmed, a spokeswoman for the USA -backed militia known as the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the group's fighters seized the western district of al-Qadisiya from IS on Monday.
President Trump Very Kindly Defends 'Crazy Bernie Sanders'
In case anyone cares, President Trump also tweeted he was going to be Fox & Friends this morning and to "enjoy" it. So President Trump did not pressure James Comey, but Bernie Sanders might have pressured a bank.
From those neighbourhoods, they were bearing down on Raqqa's Old City in a pincer movement on Monday, with fighting raging in the western al-Qadisiya district and parts of the city's east.
The battle for Raqa is the SDF's flagship offensive, with heavy backing from coalition air strikes, advisers, weapons and equipment.
The report of the gains comes on the same day that US -led Iraqi government troops reported major advances against IS in Mosul, the group's capital in Iraq and its last stronghold in that country.
It became infamous as the scene of some of the group's worst atrocities, including public beheadings, and is thought to have been a hub for planning attacks overseas.
- Cam Newton Resumes Throwing Following Offseason Surgery on Shoulder Injury
- Amnesty warns that May-DUP negotiations must not undermine abortion law reform
- Décès de l'ancien Premier ministre, Habib Thiam — NÉCROLOGIE
- First woman leads Buckingham Palace Changing of the Guard ceremony
- ASL Airlines France inaugure son Paris-Alger — Algérie
- Clashes hit Indian Kashmir on Eid festival
- Blockading countries send list of 13 demands to Qatar
- U.S. downing of Assad aircraft ups tensions with Russian Federation in Syria
- Helmut Kohl, Architect of German Unification, Dead at 87
- Supreme Court allows parts of travel ban to go into effect