A U.S. backed Syrian coalition of Kurdish and Arab groups have made advances into Raqqa the de facto capital of the so-called Islamic State group.
IS has suffered a series of setbacks in recent months at the hands of an array of Syrian and Iraqi forces.
"Since the offensive began, the SDF have captured around 25 percent of the city's built-up neighbourhoods", Rami Abdel Rahman, head of the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, told AFP on Monday.
Cihan Shekh Ehmed, a spokeswoman for the USA -backed militia known as the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the group's fighters seized the western district of al-Qadisiya from IS on Monday.
Senate Bill To Replace Obamacare Could Be In Jeopardy
The lengthy proposal only came out last week, but Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell wants to begin voting this week. He said he feels "a sense of urgency" to push forward because the health care system is in "full meltdown mode".
From those neighbourhoods, they were bearing down on Raqqa's Old City in a pincer movement on Monday, with fighting raging in the western al-Qadisiya district and parts of the city's east.
The battle for Raqa is the SDF's flagship offensive, with heavy backing from coalition air strikes, advisers, weapons and equipment.
The report of the gains comes on the same day that US -led Iraqi government troops reported major advances against IS in Mosul, the group's capital in Iraq and its last stronghold in that country.
It became infamous as the scene of some of the group's worst atrocities, including public beheadings, and is thought to have been a hub for planning attacks overseas.
- Décès de l'ancien Premier ministre, Habib Thiam — NÉCROLOGIE
- Donald Trump welcomes 'true friend' as PM Modi arrives in Washington
- U.S. downing of Assad aircraft ups tensions with Russian Federation in Syria
- Foo Fighters wow Glastonbury and tease their fans
- North Korea dismiss Moon call for united Pyeongchang team
- Five Republican senators now oppose health care bill as written
- President Trump Very Kindly Defends 'Crazy Bernie Sanders'
- Supreme Court rules for Missouri church in playground case
- First woman leads Buckingham Palace Changing of the Guard ceremony
- Supreme Court battle over political districts unlikely to affect California's system