A U.S. backed Syrian coalition of Kurdish and Arab groups have made advances into Raqqa the de facto capital of the so-called Islamic State group.
IS has suffered a series of setbacks in recent months at the hands of an array of Syrian and Iraqi forces.
"Since the offensive began, the SDF have captured around 25 percent of the city's built-up neighbourhoods", Rami Abdel Rahman, head of the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, told AFP on Monday.
Cihan Shekh Ehmed, a spokeswoman for the USA -backed militia known as the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the group's fighters seized the western district of al-Qadisiya from IS on Monday.
Low turnout but big majority ahead for Macron
Since then, it won the presidency, updated its name to Republic on the Move and is now dominating parliamentary elections. Opinion polls showed Macrons wouldwin between 360 and 427 seats - easily a majority.
From those neighbourhoods, they were bearing down on Raqqa's Old City in a pincer movement on Monday, with fighting raging in the western al-Qadisiya district and parts of the city's east.
The battle for Raqa is the SDF's flagship offensive, with heavy backing from coalition air strikes, advisers, weapons and equipment.
The report of the gains comes on the same day that US -led Iraqi government troops reported major advances against IS in Mosul, the group's capital in Iraq and its last stronghold in that country.
It became infamous as the scene of some of the group's worst atrocities, including public beheadings, and is thought to have been a hub for planning attacks overseas.
- President Trump Very Kindly Defends 'Crazy Bernie Sanders'
- Why Lakers Prefer Lonzo Ball Over D'Angelo Russell As Team Leader
- BMW announces $600M expansion as it celebrates 25 years
- Fire crews battle blaze at apartment complex near Seminole Heights
- Rabbi, several others arrested in public benefits fraud case
- Donald Trump welcomes 'true friend' as PM Modi arrives in Washington
- Supreme Court battle over political districts unlikely to affect California's system
- The Case for and Against The Home Depot, Inc. (HD)
- North Korea dismiss Moon call for united Pyeongchang team
- U.S. downing of Assad aircraft ups tensions with Russian Federation in Syria