An Afghan boy looks through the scope of a toy gun, as other children ride on swings during the first day of the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Fitr, which marks the end of the holy month of Ramadan, in Kabul, Afghanistan June 25, 2017. The festival of Eid-ul-Fitr inculcates the virtues of forgiveness, sacrifice and charity in our hearts.
United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, Indonesia, Australia, Malaysia and Japan also announced they would begin observing Eid al-Fitr on Sunday.
Syrian President Bashar al-Assad led Eid-ul-Fitr prayers in the central city of Hama on Sunday, appearing in public outside the capital for the first time in a year. It is a day for feasting after the month-long fast, for giving alms to the needy, and celebrating bonds in the community.
Eid al-Fitr is marked by a special prayer, festivities, gifts and shared meals.
After holding prayers, there are family gatherings in which they share food with extended families and friends.
President, PM greet countrymen on Eid
But the Asian countries like India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Malaysia are likely to celebrate it on Monday. This means Indian Muslims, like their counterparts in Saudi Arabia, would have observed 29 fasts this year.
It is one of the five pillars of Islam, the others being the profession of faith, the obligation to pray five times a day; charity; and the pilgrimage to Mecca.
Watch for the new moon.
The beginning and end of Ramadan, and a month in the Islamic Calendar, has traditionally been based on "hilal" sightings, which is the method mentioned in the Holy Quran and followed by the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him).
Speaking on the occasion Sheikh Mohammed said "our country Ethiopia is characterized by religious plurality and the people live in harmony for ages".
Thereafter, the day is spent visiting the elderly and sick, and family and friends, and partaking of traditional delicacies, which varies between the Muslim cultures in different countries across the globe. Eid 2017 Wishes: Best SMS, Eid al-Fitr WhatsApp Messages, Facebook Status, and GIF Images to wish Eid Mubarak!
This year, Eid starts on Sunday June 25 (TODAY) and marks the start of a month of celebration.
- Chicago Bulls: Complete 2017 NBA Draft results
- Patriots agree to deal with LB David Harris
- Toll from Pakistan tanker fire climbs to 148
- Arrests at Capitol of health bill protesters
- Tensions rise after Syrian jet downed, missile attack
- Sam Warburton: 'I could miss first British & Irish Lions Test'
- Oracle Team USA captures first America's Cup win
- Federer beats Alexander Zverev 6-1, 6-3 for 9th Halle title
- French legislative election 2017: First round results, polls, latest on parliamentary vote
- South Africa beat England in thriller to level T20 series