A person waves a rainbow flag in front of Istanbul courthouse in June this year in Istanbul.
The march was due to take place Saturday evening, during the final hours of Ramadan.
The decision by Istanbul's governor to call of the parade came amid threats by the ultra-nationalist Alperen Hearths group to block the parade unless authorities banned it.
March organizers are urging the governor to allow the parade to continue as planned, arguing that by blocking the event he was legitimizing and validating hate groups, like Alperen Hearths, Reuters reported.
The governor's office said on June 24 that the LGBTI (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transsexual, and intersex) Pride march would be banned for the "security of participants and tourists" and "public order".
How Analysts Feel About RSA Insurance Group plc (LON:RSA)?
Condor Gold PLC (LON:CNR) insider James (Jim) Mellon bought 10,000 shares of the stock in a transaction dated Monday, May 22nd. FMR LLC boosted its stake in BT Group PLC by 10.5% in the first quarter. 567,728 shares of the company were exchanged.
The 2014 Pride March in Istanbul attracted up to 100,000 people, one of largest gatherings celebrating LGBTI rights and diversity in the Muslim world.
Turkey is under a strict state of emergency, introduced after a failed coup in July previous year that gives local authorities a mandate to ban demonstrations they deem risky.
Unlike in many other parts of the Middle East, homosexuality is not illegal in Turkey.
Hakan Taş, a German politician of Turkish origin who is also gay, told Turkish media that the country's LGBT community was coming under increasing pressure and said the ban amounted to a human rights violation.
- Boston to rename street after retired slugger Ortiz
- All Blacks, Lions to clash in Auckland
- Trump White House Has Taken Little Action to Stop Next Election Hack
- Modi in Portugal; 'Indian connection' to reflect in talks with PM Costa
- Militants attack CRPF vehicle in Srinagar, 1 killed and 1 injured
- Magic sees Ball as big piece of plan
- Anil Kumble's decision to quit was personal: Sourav Ganguly
- The Jefferies Group LLC Reiterates Buy Rating for OneSavings Bank PLC (OSB)
- NBA Draft 2017: Meet the Philadelphia 76ers selections, with videos and stats
- Vidéo - François Bayrou s'énerve et refuse de répondre à un journaliste