By the time he exited the game, the Orioles were well on their way to a 15-5 loss to the Tampa Bay Rays at Tropicana Field, dropping them to 35-38 on the season and 11-24 on the road.
Embattled Baltimore Orioles right-hander Ubaldo Jiménez's bid to end the club's stretch of 19 straight games of allowing at least five runs lasted all of two innings, and his second start back in the rotation didn't extend much past that.
The Rays (40-36) jumped out to a 9-2 lead in the first three innings and reset their season high for scoring, getting home runs from Derek Norris, Shane Peterson and Logan Morrison. Peterson hit a two-run home run in the third, and then Norris did the same to chase Jimenez. Rays starter Chris Archer (6-4) threw six innings, not needing his best stuff to win his second straight start.
Rookie reliever Austin Pruitt inherited a 14-5 lead and pitched the final three innings for his first big league save. The Orioles make their first trip of the year to Tampa Bay after taking two of three from the Rays at home in April and going 13-6 in the 2016 season series.
Severe storms, isolated tornadoes possible Friday
Tropical Storm Cindy pushed ashore along the Louisiana coast Thursday morning, delivering high winds, rough surf and heavy rain. Parishes along the coast made sandbags - or sand and bags - available to people who wanted to protect homes and businesses.
Baltimore Orioles' Trey Mancini follows through on an RBI-double off Tampa Bay Rays starting pitcher Chris Archer during the sixth inning of a baseball game Friday, June 23, 2017, in St. Petersburg, Fla.
Orioles: RHP Darren O'Day (shoulder) was reinstated from the 10-day DL.
Rays: SS Matt Duffy, who had his rehab assignment for offseason Achilles' tendon surgery shut down due to heel soreness, had a pea-sized calcium deposit removed this week. OF Colby Rasmus was placed on the 10-day DL with left hip tendinitis.
Rays manager Kevin Cash said there is a "good chance" C Wilson Ramos (right knee surgery) and RHP Brad Boxberger (flexor mass strain) will return from the DL this weekend.
- Démission de Bayrou et Sarnez: les analyses d'Olivier Lerner
- Farmhouse Investment Management LLC Purchases New Stake in Calpine Corporation (CPN)
- No 'wider plot' suspected in airport stabbing
- TransCanada Corporation (TRP) Position Increased by Massachusetts Financial Services Co. MA
- The Last Knight — Transformers
- Opposition picks Meira Kumar in Dalit-vs-Dalit Presidential battle
- Lagergren, Stalter lead at BMW International Open
- United To The MAX
- Expect a rainy New Orleans weekend after Tropical Storm Cindy
- Macron : les nouveaux équilibres du gouvernement