"This is a period of fracture and change across our continent and all of us in political life face the challenge of meeting that change and bringing unity and stability in the interests of all our people". "Friends, today I'm honoured to have been elected as leader of the party".
Sinn Fein Leader Gerry Adams opposed Varadkar's nomination and described him as a minister for health who "failed to tackle a crisis that left patients languishing on trolleys and tens of thousands more waiting months for vital treatments".
Mr Kenny announced last month he was stepping down after 15 years leading Fine Gael and six years as Taoiseach.
In his acceptance speech Wednesday, Varadkar said politics of the past no longer work.
He will address the Dail chamber just after 2pm and announce that he will head to Aras An Uachtarain to formally hand in his resignation to President Michael D Higgins. "As far as I can see, it hasn't been an issue at all in the leadership contest".
"I think he restored it, people got to know Ireland because they knew Enda Kenny".
Sixers make Fultz top NBA pick
Of course, the counter argument to that view is that Fultz didn't have the talent around him during his days at Washington . Under NBA rules, draft picks' salaries must be between 80 and 120 percent of a predetermined figure.
Mr Adams warned that Mr Varadkar had in the past mistakenly engaged in abuse and invective during Dail exchanges. I hope and expect this to be a very early priority for the new Taoiseach. I think he is a decent man.
A message was posted on Mr Kenny's Twitter feed to say the stop-off was to assure the community he is moving on but the Government remains committed to regeneration. He also joked that he and Mr Varadkar once attended the same Pilates class.
In a press statement today, Prendergast said his election to taoiseach is a "major achievement for him both personally and professionally and we wish him well in the new role".
He warned, however, that the Government was rowing back from progress made by the Fine Gael-Labour coalition of 2011 to 2016. He has been a Teachta Dala (TD) or MP for the Dublin West constituency since 2007.
But Varadkar's election is part of a broader transformative shift that has taken place in Ireland in recent decades - Ireland actually legalized same-sex marriage in 2015, the first country to do so by popular vote.
- Hundreds face housing chaos as tower blocks evacuated over cladding fears
- Quatre partants, onze arrivants dans le gouvernement d'Édouard Philippe — Remaniement
- Red Bull take top two spots in Azerbaijan practice
- Tapwrit wins, Patch takes third
- Britain, EU clash over Brexit proposals on citizens' rights
- 5 talking points from the first Lions Test in New Zealand
- Johnson, Day and McIlroy miss cut at US Open
- Brexit : risque d'aggravation de la situation des Européens selon Donald Tusk
- What's in the Senate's new healthcare bill?
- Kailash Mansarovar yatra movement disrupted, matter being discussed with Chinese side: MEA