"This is a period of fracture and change across our continent and all of us in political life face the challenge of meeting that change and bringing unity and stability in the interests of all our people". "Friends, today I'm honoured to have been elected as leader of the party".
Sinn Fein Leader Gerry Adams opposed Varadkar's nomination and described him as a minister for health who "failed to tackle a crisis that left patients languishing on trolleys and tens of thousands more waiting months for vital treatments".
Mr Kenny announced last month he was stepping down after 15 years leading Fine Gael and six years as Taoiseach.
In his acceptance speech Wednesday, Varadkar said politics of the past no longer work.
He will address the Dail chamber just after 2pm and announce that he will head to Aras An Uachtarain to formally hand in his resignation to President Michael D Higgins. "As far as I can see, it hasn't been an issue at all in the leadership contest".
"I think he restored it, people got to know Ireland because they knew Enda Kenny".
What's in the Senate's new healthcare bill?
It defunds Planned Parenthood-which provides family planning and birth control for millions of low income women for one year. But Sanders stopped short of saying that the bill enjoys Trump's full backing, hinting more tweaking down the road.
Mr Adams warned that Mr Varadkar had in the past mistakenly engaged in abuse and invective during Dail exchanges. I hope and expect this to be a very early priority for the new Taoiseach. I think he is a decent man.
A message was posted on Mr Kenny's Twitter feed to say the stop-off was to assure the community he is moving on but the Government remains committed to regeneration. He also joked that he and Mr Varadkar once attended the same Pilates class.
In a press statement today, Prendergast said his election to taoiseach is a "major achievement for him both personally and professionally and we wish him well in the new role".
He warned, however, that the Government was rowing back from progress made by the Fine Gael-Labour coalition of 2011 to 2016. He has been a Teachta Dala (TD) or MP for the Dublin West constituency since 2007.
But Varadkar's election is part of a broader transformative shift that has taken place in Ireland in recent decades - Ireland actually legalized same-sex marriage in 2015, the first country to do so by popular vote.
- UK: London apartment tower may have used banned siding in renovation
- China-US dialogue expected to address bilateral security interests beyond North Korea
- Global Smart Room Thermostat Market Research Report 2017
- Britain, EU clash over Brexit proposals on citizens' rights
- West Bengal govt receives prestigious UN award
- Handel's Victory Shows Limits of Trump Card
- Josh Jackson won't be taking up baseball any time soon
- Unhealthy outlook for repealing ObamaCare as some GOP senators defect from bill
- Johnson, Day and McIlroy miss cut at US Open
- Death Toll Climbs In London Grenfell Tower Apartment Fire