The last time the Minnesota Twins had the No. 1 pick in Major League Baseball's draft, they were trying to decide between a can't-miss pitching prospect and a hometown hero they hoped would one day help them dig out of a decade of futility.
A 6-foot-1, 185-pound right-handed batter, Lewis is a contact hitter with a solid approach at the plate.
He also brought home a gold medal as a part of the USA Baseball 18U National Team with a win over Cuba in the 2016 COP ABE Pan American AAA Championship.
NO. 3: THE SAN DIEGO PADRES SELECT WHITEVILLE HIGH SCHOOL (N.C.) PITCHER MACKENZIE GORE While 18-year-old Mackenzie Gore was never mentioned for the No. 1 overall spot by the Twins, he was considered an elite prospect by many analysts.
Cindy slams the gulf coast
The storm has already killed a ten-year-old boy on Alabama Beach when he was struck by a log carried to shore by a huge wave. Up to eight inches of rainfall was expected in southern portions of Mississippi, Alabama and Florida through Friday morning.
The Oakland A's used the sixth overall pick on outfielder Austin Beck of North Davidson High School in Lexington, N.C. In 28 games as a senior, Beck batted.590 with 12 home runs and 38 RBIs. A pair of Florida junior college pitchers - Brenden Little of State College of Florida, Manatee-Sarasota (Cubs) and Nate Pearson of the College of Central Florida (Blue Jays) were picked 27th and 28th, respectively.
Minnesota was able to make their selection from the cream of the crop. This May 20, 2016 photo shows JSerra Catholic High School third baseman Royce Lewis preparing to throw to first base during an opening round Division 1 baseball playoff game in San Juan Capistrano, Calif. Th. "I can't wait to put on the jersey and get out there and start playing". "They're getting the full package, I believe". "I'm not going to comment on other players", Falvey said. "He loves him. He says he's a great kid, a hard worker and the kind of person we want in our system". Additionally, 2017 marks the 34th time overall, and the sixth straight season, the Twins have selected in the top 15.
The Draft, which is comprised of 40 rounds, will continue on Tuesday at noon (CT) for Rounds 3-10 and then again on Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. CT for rounds 11-40.
- Gorkhaland agitation: Army called in as protests in Darjeeling turn violent
- McConnell faces hunt for GOP votes for Senate health bill
- Gergen: Trump could beat Dems in 2020
- EOG Resources, Inc. (EOG) Shares Bought by Icon Advisers Inc
- Toshiba gets earnings report extension, faces delisting risk
- Splash! Timberwolves get All-Star Jimmy Butler from Bulls
- FTSE 100 drops as mining shares fall
- Dassey attorneys welcome appellate ruling
- FIFA Confederations Cup: Mexico came from behind to beat New Zealand
- Cladding removed from Manchester tower block after Grenfell fire