Red Bull's Max Verstappen and Daniel Ricciardo unexpectedly led the way in Practice One for the Azerbaijan GP - but Force India's Sergio Perez crashed heavily at Baku's iconic castle chicane. The Formula One Grand Prix of Europe will be held on Sunday.
He escaped unscathed after crashing against the external wall at a narrow section at Turn Eight, although his vehicle lost its rear right wheel and Force India mechanics may struggle to get him back on the track before the second practice session on Friday afternoon.
The 6-kilometer (3.7-mile) Baku circuit, which glides through the city's medieval walls and passes the Caspian sea, has F1's fastest top speed and is also one of the trickiest.
Ryan wants to 'get moving' on Iran, Russia sanctions
It's not unusual for an administration to want to assert its power over sanctions, but the situation is tricky for Trump. The bill would require a 30-day congressional review period if Trump attempts to ease or end penalties against Moscow.
Hamilton, meanwhile, seemed to get stuck in traffic and with many cars out on track pushing hard it was hard for him to get any room to set a quick time.
The Mexican driver escaped unhurt but the damage caused to his auto may prevent him from taking part in the second practice session of the day.
With 20 minutes left, the red flag halted the session after Perez mangled both wheels on the right side of his auto snaking through into a tight Turn 8.
Up until that point Perez, who starred in Baku's inaugural race a year ago en route to the podium, was setting an impressive pace again - so much so that still ended with the fourth-quickest lap of the session.
- Islamist militants storm school in southern Philippines, take students hostages
- Pentagon chief blasts N.Korea over United States student who died
- Newfield Exploration Company (NYSE:NFX) Vs. Industry Vs. Sector Growth Analysis
- Impregnable fortress Eden Park a test for Lions
- Spectaculaire accident après un accrochage avec un motard
- Pistons take Duke's Kennard with No. 12 pick
- Mourners Gather In Wyoming, Ohio, For Funeral Of Otto Warmbier
- Confederations Cup is a gift for Germany gaffer Joachim Loew
- Quatre ministres quittent démissionnent — France
- Bodies Of 7 Missing Sailors Found Inside Wrecked Navy Ship