Sikkim Chief Minister Pawan Chamling today extended his support for a separate Gorkhaland state saying it would fulfil the constitutional demand of the people of Darjeeling hills and also bring permanent peace in the region.
The protestors are also asking for a separate Gorkhaland, a long pending demand of the people of the hills. "However, several community members pressed for a peaceful protest in Darjeeling for the fulfilment of their demands.Ranchi has been a home to the Gorkha community for more than a century".
There were reports that some ambulance operators refused to carry patients due to fear of harassment. Since morning, local cable TV connections were snapped in a section of the hills.
Internet services also remained suspended for the fifth day today to stop the spread of rumours that incite violence.
Police patrolling was intensified in the hills from morning.
Ces joueurs d’origine africaine évoluant pour des nations européennes
C’est également le cas de l’attaquant de Liverpool Christian Benteke. C’est ce que vous découvrirez dans cet article.
All major political parties in the hills, including the GJM, and West Bengal opposition parties - the Left Front, Congress and BJP - boycotted a state government-sponsored meeting on Thursday in Siliguri.
As normal life continued to be crippled, the GJM yesterday offered a 12-hour "window" on June 23 to schools to evacuate students safely to Siliguri and Rongpo.
GJM supporters protest in Singmari, near Darjeeling on Saturday.
Meanwhile, a case was filed on Thursday against Gorkha Janmukti Morcha chief Bimal Gurung and his wife, Asha, for allegedly being involved in violence, arson and the death of one person during the clashes in Darjeeling, PTI reported.
- BidaskClub Upgrades Reliance Steel & Aluminum Co
- Archbishop says Church of England 'colluded with' sex abuse
- Early projections suggest Macron's REM party winning majority
- Violence, Persecution Displace 65.6 Million in 2016
- Bayrou, plus libre que jamais, multiplie les signaux à destination de Macron
- Tour de France: la Sky avec Thomas et Landa pour épauler Froome
- Hlas: Zach Johnson frustrated, but plays on in US Open
- United Kingdom population sees biggest increase in 70 years
- Louis Aliot refuse de se rendre à une convocation de la police
- Israeli court stands up for woman in airline gender seat swap case