In a shocking incident on Wednesday night, a farmer committed suicide outside a village office in Kerala's Kozhikode district after alleging harassment by an officer.
57-year old Kavilpurayidathil Joy, alias Thomas, a native of Chakkittapara village, was found hanging around 9.30 pm. Speaking to Asianet News, a distraught Molly said that the village officials held a grudge against Joy and was adamant to not help him, despite the family having all documents related to the land.
Following a huge public outcry over the incident, village assistant Sirish was suspended on Thursday for dereliction of duty.
KP Joy hanged himself to death at the Chembanodu village revenue office after the officials refused to accept his payments despite several attempts. Revenue minister E Chandrasekharan has sought a report from the collector regarding the turn of events that led to the suicide.
State Power Minister MM Mani, who arrived at the residence of Joy today, said that he has spoken to the district collector. They also took part in the sit-in protest near the village office.
Boston renaming street after retired Red Sox player Ortiz
Ortiz belted 483 career homers with the Red Sox, a total that trails only Williams (521) on the franchise's all-time list. The Associated Press (via Sports Illustrated ) reported Yawkey Way Extension is set to become David Ortiz Drive.
Previous year the family had to stage a dharna outside the office and tax was accepted after the intervention of higher officials. The family had staged a hunger strike outside the village office following which he was allowed to pay tax past year.
Joy is survived by wife Molly and daughters Ambili, Anju and Amal.
However, in 2017 again Joy was treated roughly by the officials.
Village Council chief Shiji said the state authorities were requested to extend a helping hand to the family. There was reportedly a family dispute over the said land.
Kozhikode District Collector U V Jose who visited the place this morning and assured people all necessary action in the matter.
- China topples Indian smartphone makers with strategic innovation and marketing
- Clippers gauge interest in DeAndre Jordan trade, sources say
- Patriots' Malcolm Mitchell has deal with Scholastic Books
- England storm into semis of Champions Trophy
- Saudi Arabia Taps Anti-Iran Hardliner To Be King In Waiting
- China's dog meat festival opens despite ban rumours
- Traces of the Google Pixel 2 were found in another Android phone
- BCCI to receive $405 mn from ICC's revenue
- John McCain: Americans 'stupid' to still want to travel to North Korea
- Nation finally to see the latest version of heath-care reform