Traore confirmed it was a jihadist attack, which comes two years after a similar attack was conducted on a popular luxury hotel in Bamako.
Two people were killed when gunmen stormed Le Campement Kangaba in Dougourakoro, Sunday, a resort on the edge of Bamako popular among Westerners. One of the attackers was subdued by a French soldier who was staying at Campement Kangaba for the weekend, according to a witness at the scene. According to Mali's Security Minister Salif Traore, one of the assailants was able to escape after being injured.
"They [the armed men] exchanged gunshots with members of the special anti-terrorist force (FORSAT) who had arrived just a few minutes after the attack".
The European Union training mission in Mali, EUTMMALI, tweeted that it was aware of the attack and was supporting Malian security forces and assessing the situation.
Special forces killed four of the assailants and arrested three suspects, Baba Cisse, a spokesman for the ministry, said by phone on Monday.
He later told journalists that "we have recovered the bodies of two attackers who were killed" and were searching for the bodies of two others.
Malian state TV reported that 36 guests had so far been rescued.
Although the attackers succeeded in mounting a lethal attack, security forces backed by French and United Nations troops rescued 36 residents including 13 French citizens.
Jury in Bill Cosby Sexual Assault Trial Deadlocked
Bill Cosby's accusers and supporters alike have gathered on the courthouse steps to await a verdict in his sexual assault case. Shows, made movies and was a top rated comic. "I'm disappointed in whoever the jurists are who are holding out", she said.
A security ministry official said: "There is an attack by presumed jihadists on the Kangaba camp".
The minister said an attacker had been wounded and fled, leaving a submachine gun and six bottles of explosives behind.
The EU is giving 50 million euros to set up a joint African military force in the Sahel region to fight jihadists, the bloc's foreign affairs chief said yesterday (5 June).
Security has gradually worsened across Mali since French forces pushed back Islamist and Tuareg rebel fighters in 2013 from swathes of the north they had occupied the previous year.
In 2015, a peace deal was signed between the government and some insurgent groups.
Sunday's attack is the latest in a series of high-profile assaults in north and and west Africa, targeting locals and tourists. He also stated that five terrorists were killed in the operation that continued throughout the night.
Security forces in Mali are now dealing with what appears to be a terror attack at a vacation resort that is popular among Western tourists.
Seven Irish personnel occupy staff appointments in the mission headquarters in Bamako - with eleven Irish personnel based in Koulikoro Training Centre.
- Germany investigates railway arson attacks ahead of G-20
- US shifts tone in Qatar crisis, seeks Saudi answers
- Switzerland in pole position in ESA's new mission
- Next Century Growth Investors LLC Maintains Stake in BHP Billiton Limited (BHP)
- Toshiba chooses US-Japan bidder for memory chip biz sale
- Ces joueurs d’origine africaine évoluant pour des nations européennes
- Xbox reveals the Xbox One X or Project Scorpio
- India arrests 15 people for celebrating Pakistan cricket team's win
- Ohio Coroner Investigating Otto Warmbier's Death
- BIGBANG's Taeyang Appointed As Ambassador For Olympic Winter Games PyeongChang 2018