Men's 4th rd: Kei Nishikori (Jpn) bt Fernando Verdasco (Esp) 0-6 6-4 6-4 6-0, Andy Murray (Gbr) bt Karen Khachanov (Rus) 6-3 6-4 6-4, Marin Cilic (Cro) bt Kevin Anderson (Rsa) 6-3 3-0 ret, Stan Wawrinka (Sui) bt Gael Monfils (Fra) 7-5 7-6 (9-7) 6-2.
When Murray beat Wawrinka this time previous year to reach his first French Open final, it was probably his best performance on a clay court.
Cilic, who started the claycourt season with a tournament win in Istanbul is yet to drop a set for the tournament and will come into his match with Wawrinka fresh as he looks to go even further in his best-ever Roland Garros performance. It's great. I'm really happy to be in the semifinal here.' About his next match against Andy Murray, Wawrinka said: 'It's going to be interesting match, for sure.
Lappartient to oppose Cookson for UCI presidency
Lappartient, who serves as president of the European Cycling Confederation, will face incumbent Brian Cookson. The 44-year-old suggested influencing the Olympic movement was central to his manifesto.
In the women's competition, Romanian Simona Halep established her credentials to become the newest French Open champion with a blistering 6-1, 6-1 victory over Carla Suarez-Navarro of Spain to reach the quarter-finals.
Djokovic was thumped 7-6, 6-3, 6-0 by the Austrian in the French Open quarter-finals. "I think physically and mentally I feel ready", he said. "I've come a long way the past 10 days or so". He's a great player.
But Murray, now just two games away from his third different Grand Slam trophy, battled back in his typical, gritty fashion - winning five games in a row to take the second set and level up the match. Murray will be the favorite to win going into the match.
"Obviously for a couple of points after that I was sacked up, because I was frustrated at that moment", said Murray.
"It was awesome tennis from Petra today and she was really striking the ball well", Svitolina said.
Svitolina rallied to beat Croatian qualifier Petra Martic 4-6, 6-3, 7-5 on Court Suzanne Lenglen. How do you explain this? 'I think it's because I'm very confident and mentally very strong. Stay tuned to see how their quarterfinals meeting unfolds.
- Trump Comments On Detained Student's Death
- Evacuations ordered as Holcomb fire flares, changes directions
- Emmanuel Macron to reshuffle government after French parliament election win
- Markets Right Now: Stock indexes slip below recent records
- Real Madrid chief Florentino Perez 'not contemplating' Cristiano Ronaldo exit
- Another Late Inning Rally Leads Dodgers Over Indians, 6-4
- In stern rebuke of Mideast ally, United States raps Qatar on terror funds
- Un Français parmi les victimes de l'incendie de forêt au Portugal
- New Oklahoma coach Riley's deal starts at $3.1 million
- Eyeing Syria conflict, France courts Russia after previous tough ties