To replace them on the 25-man roster, the Phillies added outfielder Cam Perkins and left-hander Hoby Milner from Triple-A Lehigh Valley. This season looks likely to be the fifth straight with that many marks in the loss column, as the Phillies enter Tuesday with the worst record in the majors (22-46). Some changes had to be made.
Philadelphia signed Saunders as a free agent in the offseason to a $9 million contract.
Phillies general manager Matt Klentak defended Saunders last week, saying he was good clubhouse presence and could carry a team for a month if he got hot.
The Phillies also designated right-hander Jeanmar Gomez for assignment.
Trump lashes out at 'bad,' 'conflicted' investigators
A close Trump associate said this week the president was considering firing Mueller , although the White House later denied it. Comey told Congress last week that he believed he was sacked "because of the Russian Federation investigation".
Neither Perkins nor Milner has appeared in the majors. He had 27 strikeouts in 27.2 innings.
Coming off a career year where he hit 24 homers and drove in 57 runs, the 30-year-old has gone deep six times and contributed 20 RBIs, with an on base percentage of.257.
Phillies fans might have been hoping that the team promoted outfielder Nick Williams, who has hit 14 home runs for the IronPigs.
In another move, the Phillies shifted pitcher Jerad Eickhoff to the 10-day disabled list with a lower back strain. Overall, he's carrying a disappointing 4.81 ERA with a 65/30 K/BB ratio in 76 2/3 innings. Eickhoff was scheduled to start Friday in Arizona against the Diamondbacks.
- Record 65.6M people forcibly displaced worldwide
- Whelan appointment to be raised at Cabinet meeting
- The Queen acknowledges 'very sombre national mood' after Grenfell fire
- NHC says Tropical Storm Cindy forms in Gulf of Mexico
- Jurors asked eighth question in Cosby trial
- Tax Evasion: Cristiano Ronaldo to appear before court on July 31
- SiriusXM Skill Brings Sports Radio Broadcasts To Amazon Alexa
- US sends supersonic bombers in show of force against North Korea
- Incendies au Portugal: un Canadair s'est écrasé
- Real president refuses to speak about Ronaldo