As more attention turns toward the investigations into possible connections between President Donald Trump's 2016 presidential campaign and Russia, Attorney General Jeff Sessions has hired a personal lawyer, as confirmed on Tuesday in a statement from the office of Charles "Chuck" Cooper who is representing him, The National Law Journal reported.
The two men have had a longstanding relationship and Cooper advised Sessions ahead of his January confirmation hearing.
It's unknown whether the representation extends to the special counsel's investigation of Russian influence, the National Law Journal reports.
When U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions attended a congressional hearing last week, there was a lawyer by his side.
Qatar claims news agency's website hacking linked to countries boycotting Doha
The Emir of Qatar Tamim Hamad al-Thani attends the final session of the South American-Arab Countries summit, in Riyadh November 11, 2015.
Several other administration officials have recently retained attorneys.
Chuck Cooper is representing Sessions on issues related to the investigation into Russian meddling in the US presidential race, NBC News reported Tuesday. Vice President Mike Pence hired a former US attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia to represent him for the special-counsel investigation and the congressional inquiries into possible collusion between Trump associates and Russian Federation.
Democrats have scrutinized Sessions' interactions with Russian officials after he didn't disclose them in his confirmation hearing.
This step comes months after Sessions recused himself from investigations into Russian involvement in the election at the advice of his staff in March of 2017.
"Let me state this clearly: I have never met with or had any conversations with any Russians or any foreign officials concerning any type of interference with any campaign or election", Sessions told the Senate Intelligence Committee. President Trump (and his own personal lawyer), Vice President Mike Pence, and Trump's son-in-law-turned-senior advisor Jared Kushner have each hired lawyers of his own.
- Rafael Nadal Wins Historic 10th French Open Title
- Vince Cable 'not too old' for Lib Dem leadership
- Tesla driver in fatal 'Autopilot' crash got numerous warnings - US govt
- US Navy sailors found dead on destroyer USS Fitzgerald
- Amit Shah declines to comment on Presidential candidates
- Ces joueurs d’origine africaine évoluant pour des nations européennes
- Gran Tierra Energy (GTE) Receiving Somewhat Favorable Press Coverage, Analysis Finds
- Real Madrid president, Florentino Perez debunks receiving offers for Ronaldo
- Trump says China tried but failed to help on North Korea
- Revenue Estimates Analysis Avon Products Inc. (AVP)