The RJD supremo left for Ranchi where he has to be present in Ranchi court on fodder scam issue on Thursday.
The sources also said that before the ruling party announced Kovind's name, the opposition parties had thought of fielding a tribal candidate after reports that the NDA would field Jharkhand Governor Draupadi Murmu, a tribal leader. Kumar's decision to support Kovind was discussed at the party's core committee meeting attended by 50-60 MLAs, MPs and senior leaders including K C Tyagi at the CM's official bungalow.
We have chose to support RamNath Kovind, said Ratnesh Sada, JDU MLA after JDU meeting in Bihar's Patna. Announcing this at a press meet here, Kumar said he had held discussions with JD (U) national leader and Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar in this regard.
"After holding discussions with our party leaders, we have made a decision to back the NDA presidential candidate Ram Nath Kovind".
Congress will oppose the candidature of Ram Nath Kovind for the President's post because of his strong RSS-BJP ideology, said leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha, Ghulam Nabi Azad, on Tuesday.
Sena, known for its unpredictability, backed the UPA nominee Pranab Mukherjee in the 2012 presidential polls against the NDA's P A Sangma.
GOP eyes Senate health care vote next week, amid grumbling
And Alaska moderate Lisa Murkowski says she doesn't know how she'll vote or what the legislation says. Senate leaders hope to start debate by Tuesday.
Kovind, who recently resigned from his post as Governor of Bihar to field the position of President is a Dalit and a surprise nominee from the centre.
However, neither party committed to supporting the NDA candidate. The charges of the Yadavs freely acquiring a vast real estate portfolio through proxy-owned firms make Mr Kumar vulnerable - Tejashwi Yadav, who is among the Yadav family members being investigated, is Bihar's Deputy Chief Minister. Among the opposition parties who have also reportedly extended their support include, Odisha's Biju Janata Dal (BJD) and Andhra's YSR Congress Party.
Interestingly, the JD (U) has history of going against its allies in the Presidential polls.
He further added, "President must be a person wit a clean political identity and Kovind has a clean political identity".
- Chidanand: International Yoga Day is a historic moment for India
- Democrats just went 0-4. When will they win?
- Amazon's next target should be Grubhub-and here's why, says top analyst
- Professor questions suspension following TV show appearance
- 'Ireland's interests are the Eu's interests' in Brexit talks, says Simon Coveney
- Traders Buy Large Volume of Whole Foods Market Call Options (WFM)
- Explosion dans une gare de train de Bruxelles
- Au tour de François Bayrou de démissionner — France
- Amazon's $14-Billion Grocery Deal a 'Threat' to Food Retailers
- Everyone's going nuts for Holly Willoughby's dress and it drops tomorrow