The RJD supremo left for Ranchi where he has to be present in Ranchi court on fodder scam issue on Thursday.
The sources also said that before the ruling party announced Kovind's name, the opposition parties had thought of fielding a tribal candidate after reports that the NDA would field Jharkhand Governor Draupadi Murmu, a tribal leader. Kumar's decision to support Kovind was discussed at the party's core committee meeting attended by 50-60 MLAs, MPs and senior leaders including K C Tyagi at the CM's official bungalow.
We have chose to support RamNath Kovind, said Ratnesh Sada, JDU MLA after JDU meeting in Bihar's Patna. Announcing this at a press meet here, Kumar said he had held discussions with JD (U) national leader and Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar in this regard.
"After holding discussions with our party leaders, we have made a decision to back the NDA presidential candidate Ram Nath Kovind".
Congress will oppose the candidature of Ram Nath Kovind for the President's post because of his strong RSS-BJP ideology, said leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha, Ghulam Nabi Azad, on Tuesday.
Sena, known for its unpredictability, backed the UPA nominee Pranab Mukherjee in the 2012 presidential polls against the NDA's P A Sangma.
Where things stand with Special Counsel Mueller's Russia probe
And the president's tweets aren't the only sign that the administration is terrified by this investigation. As Sekulow continued to insist that an investigation into Trump doesn't exist, Cuomo grew more agitated.
Kovind, who recently resigned from his post as Governor of Bihar to field the position of President is a Dalit and a surprise nominee from the centre.
However, neither party committed to supporting the NDA candidate. The charges of the Yadavs freely acquiring a vast real estate portfolio through proxy-owned firms make Mr Kumar vulnerable - Tejashwi Yadav, who is among the Yadav family members being investigated, is Bihar's Deputy Chief Minister. Among the opposition parties who have also reportedly extended their support include, Odisha's Biju Janata Dal (BJD) and Andhra's YSR Congress Party.
Interestingly, the JD (U) has history of going against its allies in the Presidential polls.
He further added, "President must be a person wit a clean political identity and Kovind has a clean political identity".
- Netflix is rolling out choose-your-own-adventure programming for kids
- 'Ireland's interests are the Eu's interests' in Brexit talks, says Simon Coveney
- House of Burgess: Philando Castile a good guy with a gun
- Pilot ejects from F-16 at Ellington Airport
- Pennsylvania court ruling on police videos to be short-lived
- Explosion dans une gare de train de Bruxelles
- Handel to make Georgia history as its first GOP congresswoman
- Professor questions suspension following TV show appearance
- Everyone's going nuts for Holly Willoughby's dress and it drops tomorrow
- Au tour de François Bayrou de démissionner — France