The Gold Cup holders are heavy favourites heading into their next Group A assignment at Fisht Stadium, with New Zealand nursing a 2-0 defeat to Russian Federation last Friday - a match that saw the All Whites tick past 500 minutes without a goal at the Confederations Cup.
That appeared to be the winning goal for Portugal, but Mexico weren't done.
But the competition will be back in action tomorrow as Russia, Portugal, New Zealand and Mexico do battle in Group A.
Having opened their Confed Cup campaign with a 2-0 win over New Zealand, Russia face a step up against Euro 2016 winners Portugal and their troubled captain.
"My future is the national team", he said.
Republican Handel wins Georgia House election - KVOA | KVOA.com | Tucson, Arizona
Handel hit Democratic opponent Jon Ossoff on the issue of the outside money, support from celebrities like Samuel L. Handel also thanked the president in her victory speech, prompting chants of " Trump! " from supporters.
While Mexico boast superior quality in their squad, they can not afford to be complacent against New Zealand.
After pulling out a draw against the Portuguese, Mexico coach Juan Carlos Osorio said, "We were at least as good as they were and they're the current European champion". "No one in this team is negative and never has been".
Against Mexico, Portugal had to wait to find out that the score would stay at 0-0 in the first half when Nani's shot was overruled for an offside call that went unflagged in an earlier phase of play. "It's going to be very hard, but we have players who are very capable and are highly motivated".
This will be their seventh Confederations Cup, a title they won as hosts in 1999, with semifinal appearances in 1995 and 2005. "We are calm and thinking about the next game".
Mexico equalized less than 10 minutes later with a close-range diving header by Chicharito after Portugal defender Raphael Guerreiro failed to clear a ball crossed into the area.
Oribe Peralta scored five goals in Mexico's two games against the All Whites in their World Cup playoff tie in 2013.
"If somebody is influenced by something else (other than football), then who knows?" he said.
- International Yoga Day celebrated at US Embassy
- Des djihadistes prennent des otages dans une école — Philippines
- Emmanuel Macron "jette" François Bayrou "comme un vieux torchon" — Marine Le Pen
- Australia halts Syria air strikes after Russian Federation warning
- Angolan capital tops list of most expensive cities for expats
- China dog meat festival begins despite outrage
- Coroner: Otto Warmbier's family objected to autopsy, no internal examination performed
- Warmbier | Trump calls North Korea 'brutal' after United States student's death
- 'American Horror Story' Season 7 Spoilers: Colton Haynes Joins The Cast
- Spicer Addresses Rumors of New White House Role: 'I'm Right Here'