The 31-year-old is likely to leave Manchester United this summer, Sky sources understand, having found opportunities limited under Jose Mourinho last season.
Rooney is eager to play first-team football, with the United and England club captain having been dropped from the latest Three Lions squad by Gareth Southgate, and has offers from both the Premier League and overseas.
The striker still harbours ambitions of being part of the England squad at the World Cup in Russian Federation next summer, despite being axed by Gareth Soutgate.
But now he has shown his desire to get back to his best by returning earlier than his United team-mates, who do not start their pre-season tour until July 9.
"Honestly, I've said before, I don't know", Rooney said when asked if he would still be at United next term after lifting the Europa League in May.
15 arrested for sedition in MP for celebrating Pakistan's Champions Trophy victory
While Indians were completely dejected due to India's loss, several people in MP celebrated Pakistan's victory. As a team, Pakistan had been masterful in terms of how they squeeze teams and apply pressure consistently.
"I'll do that the next few weeks with my family while I'm away and, honestly, as soon as I know what's going on then, I'm sure you (will know)".
The United States - where United will head for the bulk of pre-season - is another potential destination, so too the Chinese Super League.
The transfer window in China opened on Monday, although a 100 per cent tax on transfer fees for loss-making clubs could make a deal prohibitively expensive.
However, there are no guarantees that will happen, even if The Times report that it isn't just the riches of China on offer to the England stalwart this summer, with countless options around Europe and further abound on the table for him ahead of next season.
"I am the kind of manager that likes the players to be happy, not to be with me just because I want them with me".
- Rubio: Trump's Cuba Policy Will Help 'Individual Cubans'
- Jean-Marie Le Pen veut la démission de sa fille
- Rafael Nadal through to quarterfinals at French Open
- UK opposition leader slams Grenfell Tower fire response
- Tyra Banks Shares Rare Photo of Look-Alike Son York!
- Braidwood sends video statement to Hague family
- Former soccer coach charged with 14 more counts of abuse
- London mosque attack suspect held on terror charges, police say
- President Macron's party wins clear parliamentary majority
- Meteorologists: Atlantic could see two tropical storms this week