The 31-year-old is likely to leave Manchester United this summer, Sky sources understand, having found opportunities limited under Jose Mourinho last season.
Rooney is eager to play first-team football, with the United and England club captain having been dropped from the latest Three Lions squad by Gareth Southgate, and has offers from both the Premier League and overseas.
The striker still harbours ambitions of being part of the England squad at the World Cup in Russian Federation next summer, despite being axed by Gareth Soutgate.
But now he has shown his desire to get back to his best by returning earlier than his United team-mates, who do not start their pre-season tour until July 9.
"Honestly, I've said before, I don't know", Rooney said when asked if he would still be at United next term after lifting the Europa League in May.
Rangers announce Alfredo Morelos signing
Philadelphia remain 10th, with only former champions DC United guided by Ben Olsen below them. He has scored 17 goals in 19 games this season for the Veikkausliiga leaders.
"I'll do that the next few weeks with my family while I'm away and, honestly, as soon as I know what's going on then, I'm sure you (will know)".
The United States - where United will head for the bulk of pre-season - is another potential destination, so too the Chinese Super League.
The transfer window in China opened on Monday, although a 100 per cent tax on transfer fees for loss-making clubs could make a deal prohibitively expensive.
However, there are no guarantees that will happen, even if The Times report that it isn't just the riches of China on offer to the England stalwart this summer, with countless options around Europe and further abound on the table for him ahead of next season.
"I am the kind of manager that likes the players to be happy, not to be with me just because I want them with me".
- Bac 2017 : le sujet du bac L de littérature
- New Analyst Ratings For EMIS Group (LON:EMIS)
- Jean-Marie Le Pen veut la démission de sa fille
- Role of Dhoni, Yuvraj come under scanner
- Racist Canadian Caught on Video Demanding 'White Doctor' at Hospital
- Kluber dominant as Indians blow out Orioles
- Father of German reunification, Helmut Kohl, dies aged 87
- Rubio: Trump's Cuba Policy Will Help 'Individual Cubans'
- Brazil president to sue tycoon for slander
- London mosque attack suspect held on terror charges, police say