The southern Caribbean islands of Aruba, Bonaire and Curaçao are under a tropical storm watch.
The National Weather Service forecast model projects the storm to continue northwest through Tuesday and Wednesday toward the northeastern tip of Colombia. Some areas could receive more than 10 inches of rain.
Meanwhile, Storm Team 8 is monitoring another tropical system that has prompted a Tropical Storm Warning to be issued for part of the Louisiana Coast.
Double flag conditions have been declared for Walton County beaches, with officials closing the water to swimmers.
Three new housemates to join Big Brother - but only two will stay
Kieran then shocked Rebecca as he walked away telling her she "deserved" to be shouted at for bringing family into the argument. Later, Rebecca vented her frustrations in the Diary Room as she felt Kieran should have stuck by her.
A tropical storm warning is in effect for Barbados, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, and tropical storm conditions are possible by Tuesday.
Rain had already started to fall along the coast, with more - possibly much more - expected over the next few days. Tropical Storm Arlene formed in late April, becoming only the second tropical storm to form that early in the year in the satellite era, National Hurricane Center forecasters said.
It had maximum sustained winds of 40 miles per hour and was moving northwest at 9 miles per hour. Maximum sustained winds for Bret are at 40 miles per hour.
Bret is the earliest named storm on record to form in the Atlantic Main Development Region (MDR), with storms typically developing in the western Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico this early in the season.
The centre of Tropical Storm Bret was located by an Air Force Hurricane Hunter aircraft to be near latitude 9.4 North, longitude 59.8 West at 5:00pm Monday. A tropical storm watch has been issued for west of Cameron, LA, to San Louis Pass, TX.
- Ireland's Leo Varadkar reassured by talks with Theresa May over DUP deal
- QP launches vessel-borne fuel bunkering at Qatar ports
- Sarfraz hopes Champions Trophy win will bring global cricket to Pak
- Candidates in tight Georgia race make final bid for votes
- Netflix launches "choose your own adventure" style cartoons
- US hits 2 Russian officials, dozens more with sanctions
- 7 still hospitalized after London mosque attack
- New Zealand leader faces questions over alleged secret tapes
- Cosby alternate juror 'probably' would have convicted
- Russian Federation will target coalition jets in parts of Syria, defence ministry says