The Ghanaian Parliament on Monday approved the nomination of Justice Sophia Akuffo as the Chief Justice of the country.She becomes the 13th Chief Justice and the second female after Georgina Wood, the immediate past Chief Justice.
Although Parliament does not usually sit on Mondays, today's session is to enable members to consider the nomination of the Chief Justice and hasten the process to have her assume office as soon as possible.
Chief justice nominee, Sophia Akufo, will have her fate tied in a crucial report that the appointments committee will be forwarding to the Speaker of Parliament today, June 19.
Trump's lawyer denies he's being investigated
Sekulow , who is 61, isn't new to the Washington scene - he's made a career championing conservative causes in court for decades. Trump had posted earlier in the morning that Sekulow would be appearing on the Fox program, but the tweet was later removed.
He said Sophia Akuffo during the vetting showed a high standard of "competence and integrity, forthrightness and independence, astuteness in depth appreciation of the law, shrewdness and selflessness".
"These should be the hallmark of her tenure as Chief Justice", President Akufo-Addo told the gathering.
In January 2006, she was elected one of the first judges of the African Court on Human and Peoples' Rights initially elected for two years; and was subsequently re-elected until 2014, and is at present serving as Vice-President of the Court. She has pledged to live up to the expectation and also work to resolve the delays in justice delivery systems in Ghana.
- Van attack on London Muslims suggests new polarization
- Colombian rebels believed to be holding 3 Dutch journalists
- The Dollar Tree, Inc. (DLTR) Updates Q2 Earnings Guidance
- Tapwrit wins Belmont Stakes for Pletcher
- 'Confusion and Anger' Grip Fearful Muslims After London Attack
- Shuster Statement on President's Announcement on FAA and Air Traffic Control Reform
- Bank of England's Carney says now not the time to raise rates
- Syria tensions rise as Russia, Iran send US warnings
- Rugby: le XV de France sombre de nouveau en Afrique du Sud
- Government must secure interim European Union deal