The Ghanaian Parliament on Monday approved the nomination of Justice Sophia Akuffo as the Chief Justice of the country.She becomes the 13th Chief Justice and the second female after Georgina Wood, the immediate past Chief Justice.
Although Parliament does not usually sit on Mondays, today's session is to enable members to consider the nomination of the Chief Justice and hasten the process to have her assume office as soon as possible.
Chief justice nominee, Sophia Akufo, will have her fate tied in a crucial report that the appointments committee will be forwarding to the Speaker of Parliament today, June 19.
Shuster Statement on President's Announcement on FAA and Air Traffic Control Reform
President Trump's proposal outlines an overhaul to the current system, now run by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). The new system would move from radar and voice communications to satellite and digital communications called NextGen .
He said Sophia Akuffo during the vetting showed a high standard of "competence and integrity, forthrightness and independence, astuteness in depth appreciation of the law, shrewdness and selflessness".
"These should be the hallmark of her tenure as Chief Justice", President Akufo-Addo told the gathering.
In January 2006, she was elected one of the first judges of the African Court on Human and Peoples' Rights initially elected for two years; and was subsequently re-elected until 2014, and is at present serving as Vice-President of the Court. She has pledged to live up to the expectation and also work to resolve the delays in justice delivery systems in Ghana.
- Unusual Activity Spotted in Filtronic PLC (FTC.L)
- 'Confusion and Anger' Grip Fearful Muslims After London Attack
- Turkey's Erdogan calls Qatar embargo 'un-Islamic'
- Affaire Grégory: Ginette Villemin ne "croit pas" que le coupable sera retrouvé
- Britain says will be "positive and constructive" in Brexit talks
- Chance the Rapper stars in new Twitter campaign
- Rugby: le XV de France sombre de nouveau en Afrique du Sud
- Maha BJP prepared for mid-term polls: Fadnavis
- Van Strikes Pedestrians Outside Mosque in London
- Newt Gingrich, Who Led Impeachment of Bill Clinton: "The President"