- Police said Lyles was armed with one or more kitchen knives, but they have not said whether she directly threatened the officers.
Lyles' brother, Domico Jones, also speaking to KOMO said, "If worst comes to worst, you could have used a Taser instead of a gun for someone that has three kids inside the house". Her family members say not only was she several months pregnant, but insist she was too "tiny" to be an actual threat to the police officers. "Get back!" before they opened fire on 30-year-old Charleena Lyles as at least one child could be heard crying in the background, according to dashboard camera audio released early Monday by the Seattle Police Department. Soon after, the confrontation escalated, and officers began shouting at the woman to "get back" before gunshots rang out.
As many people across America wrapped up their Father's Day activities on Sunday, protesters in Seattle gathered outside Lyles' apartment building.
Ms Lyles' sister Monika Williams said that her sister was released on the recommendation that she seek mental health counselling, but it is unclear if that was the case or if she was receiving any such care.
The police department also reports that both officers "were equipped with less lethal force options, per department policy", raising further questions as to why both officers chose to shoot Lyles.
Lyles' brother, Domico Jones, told KOMO: "They came here multiple times, so I know that they had to have known anything that was wrong with her".
Authorities say she then confronted officers with a knife. "I could have taken her down", Williams told the Times.
Perez n'a pas parlé de Ronaldo avec le PSG
Cristiano Ronaldo , lui, n'a pas pour l'instant dit un mot, un mauvais signe selon certains commentateurs sportifs espagnols. La presse portugaise annonçait effectivement que Cristiano Ronaldo souhaite quitter la Casa Blanca cet été.
No officers were injured during the incident, the police department reports.
Both officers were placed on administrative leave after the shooting, The Washington Post reported, which is standard procedure.
King County Jail records indicate Lyles was arrested and booked into jail June 5 for obstruction of a public official and two counts of harassment filed in Seattle Municipal Court.
"She got an officer safety caution on her", the first officer says.
Detectives from the use of force team will investigate the Sunday shooting that Mayor Ed Murray called a tragedy for everyone involved.
Family members expressed disbelief at the police response, noting that officers had had contact with Lyles before.
Lyles' family members blasted the police over the use of lethal force. Two other children were in back of a police SUV.
The pastor says he's frustrated with police killing young black people across the country. Erneshia Jack, Charleena's cousin, said according to the Guardian.
- Trump's withdrawal from climate accord was 'courageous': Murray Energy CEO
- Philip Hammond: Conservatives 'not deaf' to message at ballot box
- Ford to build the Focus in China instead of Mexico
- Drone footage illustrates devastation of Portugal forest fires which killed 62
- Ken gets makeover: Cornrows, beefy bod and new skin tones
- Perez rubbishes talk of Manchester United deal for Morata
- F-35A flights at Luke AFB to resume Wednesday
- Australian Football League pay deal links remuneration to industry revenues
- US Student Detained in North Korea Suffered Serious Brain Function Loss
- Ligue 1: La Linguère de Saint-Louis risque la relégation